SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings - RI - What should I do first?

After living inland for the past 9 years my wife and I have moved to Rhode Island. Our house is a mere 3 blocks from the Narragansett Bay, so I'd thought I'd try sailing again. I haven't been since sailing camp (sunfishes) and my parents old AMF force 5 (which was a handful for me back then due to a fault with the mast that made me scared to sail it as a 80 lb kid) 30 years ago.

I'd started looking for a sunfish to reacquaint myself with sailing. My mom and dad still have their old AMF Force 5 in the back yard... I don't know what condition the hull is in, but I know all the rigging is in great condition.

So... where do I start?

First I need to make sure this boat's hull is sail-worthy, and make the necessary repairs if needed.

Second, I'd like to find any books/literature I can about this particular boat and basic instructional books about sailing a boat like it. Can someone recommend a good book that will include discussions of vangs, outhauls, and cunninghams as they relate to trimming a sail?

Third, I may want to get some kind of formal refresher lessons; the force 5 has some trim controls for the sail I don't think I ever understood (dad got the boat used for a song after all of us kid took the sailing lessons... it's a sporty boat I think so it might not have been the best match).

Lastly, I'd like to meet people since I'm new to Rhode Island... are there any good low-key clubs? I'm looking for other sailing opportunities as well; my uncle used to live in New England and has urged me to try and crew a boat... any hints on that?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Welcome to SN,

The first thing you need to do, is know we ignore this "Denby" character. Once you know that, all things are available to you. Including help. so with that in mind.

You may find that getting a book on Lasers might help you figure out what items are on the F5 that are confusing you. While they are different boats, they work generally speaking the same, as they are similar designs, altho obviously, the laser is still going, the F5 is not being built to my knowledge.

Good luck, and have fun on the F5 until you find a bigger, maybe better, but will assume a better boat!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm aware of the similarities between the 5 and the laser. Can anyone recommend a specific book?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts