SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - thought I'd introduce myself. I don't have a boat at the present but am a year or so away from purchase, so I'll have lots of questions. I live in SE Tennessee and will slip it in the Savannah area, driving down every couple of weeks, then taking longer trips periodically.

I've done a good bit of day sailing on smaller boats - pretty typical "upbringing". But I have to warn you, I've read almost EVERYTHING, so don't even think of arguing with me or I'll lower the boom on you with my amazing book knowledge. :laugher I'm also a huge Patrick O'Brian fan, having read the series about 5 times from end to end.

I've enjoyed reading many threads here, and am blown away by the vast experience of some of the seasoned members. Thanks in advance for all the help I'll get here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to start an argument about Westsail 32's. Who wants to join me? :D

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,067 Posts
Welcome aboard, Killick! I suspect you'll have a tough time starting any arguments here, given that all sailors pretty much have the same opinions about everything. You can try, though. :)

Reactions: Lou452

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Purely in jest of course. I'm on the fence about whether that's the boat for me, and I've enjoyed the threads about them here.

No - no arguments from me!

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,067 Posts
The Westsail 32 is an awesome boat..... there are three in the marina where I keep my boat, and it is amazing tome how much more interior volume they have than my boat. And they sail surprisingly well.

If you haven't already run across these guys in you reading, here's a link to a nice blog by a couple cruising the Bahamas in their 32........Rode Trip

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
O'Brian's a good start, but try reading an author that was really there, especially "Midshipman Easy"
Then there's Julian Stockwin and Dudley Pope and did you know CS Forrester wrote 20 something books in the Hornblower series ?
Welcome to sailnet, if you put it out there, expect someone here to "Raise" you.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the blog link Bigdog. It's W32, Cape Dory 30, or a Seawind. (I go back and forth.)

Capttb - I tried Hornblower and couldn't get into it. I'll re-visit him. I had forgotten about Marryat - thanks. For me, O'Brian is the completest thing.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Welcome aboard, Killick! I suspect you'll have a tough time starting any arguments here, given that all sailors pretty much have the same opinions about everything. You can try, though. :)
Opinions change like the wind. Ask two sailors for an opinion on something and you will get at least three :laugher If you do not like them you can just keep asking.
Welcome and enjoy your search.
Kind Regards, Lou

1 - 7 of 7 Posts