SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sailor
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am told that there are certainties in life - death, taxes and dropping a grill off the stern of a boat - that being said - I am looking for a replacement grill and would like to hear some thoughts on charcoal vs gas grills - and any other wisdom/experience out there:

here is the way I break it down:
Gas: more convenient, cleaner, faster and probably more flexible heat source
Charcoal: better flavor, higher heat with more coals

any thoughts on other features? any good stories or mishaps?

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,422 Posts
We have a propane, but haven't had it long enough to comment on experiences, except that it is indeed quick and easy. Love the thing.

Here's some negatives on each:
Propane: where do you store the propane? Can't just leave it below because leaking gas is heavier than air.
Charcoal: do you really want to try to clean out charcoal ash in the cockpit of your boat? Even on the deck of my house I've always made a mess doing that.

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
Also, tell us what brand of grill that you have. I have a round Force 10, and it's ok. Mine seems to blow out if it's windy, which is when we sail the most.
It works good when the winds are calm, but would be nice if it was bigger. Then again, I don't have a lot of room on my rail with the bimini, the throwable, and my VHF antenna the other side has the dinghy motor, so no room there.
I guess I need a bigger boat!!!

Dave

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have both. When i am lazy I use the propane, but the charcoal tastes better expecially for beef. I rigged a Weber Smokey Joe grill to an old AquaBBQ mount that fits in the flag socket on the stern. I have a small chain for the lid. In the morning when it is cool, I pull the grates (don't fprget the bottom one) and dump the ashes in the water. Spare grills and grates are available at Home Depot. I am on my third one as the first two have burned/rusted though over the 30 years i have been doing this. I keep the matchlight charcoal in a kitty litter bucket that seals.

Bought the Magna Propane Grill from WM recently and have used it a few times. It's OK. I keep the propane bottles below as when they are removed outside they seal and don't leak. Each cannister lasts about 3 hours.

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
One problem with charcol besides the mess of cleaning up is, I've found that some places don't like charcol being used because of the smell drifting to other boats...it you're that close to other boats.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Have had a Magma charcoal grill for over 10 years. Love it. Toughest part is getting the charcoal started in a breeze. Matchlight solves that problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We have propane and love it. Force 10, 3 burner stove w/oven and a SeaBQ grill. All fed by the same 10# (which lasts between 2 and 3 months) propane bottle in the locker w/ a spare mounted on the rail. 5 years and counting from Bar Harbor, Maine to the southern Bahamas. Zero problems including refilling.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I NEVER use a Charcoal grill when tied up at a marina (or any grill for that matter). Only at anchor. I think using Charcoal when you are near a wooden structure, other boats, or not at anchor facing into the wind is foolhardy.

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
I've plumbed my propane grill to my main propane tank removing the need for those small cans and the danger of storing them. It required a T-valve and some high pressure hose, all readily available. Unfortunately all these parts coast as much or mote than the grill.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I prefer propane over charcoal due to ease of use and elimination of flying sparks. Using charcoal grills 40+ times in the Caribbean a rogue charcoal ember (Oh yeah, nautical term - look it up!) frequently lands on the swim platform and leaves a gelcoat crater the next morning. After years of Force 10 (worked great) I'm planning to move to the larger Magna grill and small green bottles on the next round. Another owner has this set up and swears by it, says he gets 10 grillings per bottle.

As to the propane grill blowing out, one solution I found that worked for me in higher winds was to use the BBQ spatula to prop open the cover just a bit. This seemed to balance the draft enough to eliminate blow out - takes a little tweaking to make it work.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a Magma party that I am learning to like. Wind is not a problem - I like that I can adjust the heat and I tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to clean up so most foods are fish / things wrapped in foil and the like.. Pork loins are perfect .. That is actually is better for me anyway..

My first boat 20 years ago came with a Weber Marine grill that had a clamp for a stanchion.. I really like it though but lighting damp charcoal is no fun and I hated the clean up. And yes I tossed the under grate the first time out.. I dont know if Weber still makes a Marine version of the smokey joe..

Hmm.. in twenty years I went from burgers and beer to Salmon on a cedar plank and a crisp cold pinot grigio.. I guess I am getting old.

BTW... I think most marinas ban all kinds of grills in use while in port..

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Just remember one thing ...you can turn off gas you cant turn off Becket's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts