SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my boat, the surveyor mentioned in his report that I had a Groco Hydromatic strainer on board that was in-operable, and "that these units are prone to failure and should be removed and re-plummed accordingly."

After researching them, these are expensive units that sound like they would do a good job, but since I have no experience with them, If mine is confirmed in-operable, should I replace it with a manual strainer? Or is there another option? Or should I bite the bullet and go ahead and replace with the same?

It feeds the generator, watermaker, and air conditioners.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Catchinrays/Groco1_zps43133f61.jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
Very interesting unit. I can't believe I've never seen one.
Did a google and it seems they are over 2000 dollars. definitely worth looking into before discarding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Groco told me that the motor had thrown its magnets and ruined my motor housing. Patrick at Groco searched the shop and found a spare housing to exchange mine with and saved me about $1000. They called today and said it was ready to ship and my repair costs will be under $200. Thanks for the replies.

·
Master Mariner
9,188 Posts
It seems to me that this unit goes expressly against the KISS principle, unless you are operating somewhere like rivers, where there is an exceptional amount of crud in the water. Should it fail again, I wouldn't hesitate to go to regular sea strainers that, oh, lord forbid, you may have to clean out a couple of times a year, and aren't so complicated and need electricity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts