SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to replace the gate valve that's just screwed into the hull :eek:

I'll be mostly following Maine Sail's instructions. I was thinking about going two-piece and using a Groco flanged seacock instead of a flanged adapter and ball valve.

When I was looking up the Groco flanged seacocks I see that they have two different series, the BV and the FBV.

The main difference I can see is the the FBV uses a "chrome plated solid brass ball" and the BV uses "stainless steel ball and stem" - oh, and the BV costs about 150% more. Is that worth it? I realize this is a sink-the-boat part, so an extra $100 is not a big deal, but if I don't have to spend it....

Also, if the "stainless steel ball and stem" is such a big deal, why doesn't Groco use that in their other ball valves?

FBV-1000
BV-1000

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I used the FBV 3 years ago, and so far so good. I also have a 6-year old BV series. The BV does feel much smoother - the FBV always feels a little gratey when moved, which I hope isn't corrosion on the ball.

I guess I can't expect the same lifetime as an all-bronze tapered seacock out of either of them.

I enquired to Groco about lifetime of the FBV, and the answer was that they last a very long time!

Honestly, if I did it again I wouldn't use either - if you're going to all that trouble, I'd fit proper tapered all-bronze seacocks - I think Spartan still make them.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the advantage of the tapered cone is that it's all bronze, whereas the Groco ball valves use chrome-plated brass or stainless steel?

I'll only be using this in freshwater, is the dissimilar metal thing a big deal for me?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The dissimilar metals don't lead to galvanic corrosion, because the ball is sitting in a Teflon seat, which insulates it.

IF you are in frshwater, I would think that the FBV would be fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Big advantage to the old tapered seacocks is that they can be easily repaired and lapped in many times. With a ball valve, if it starts leaking, you replace it.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Big advantage to the old tapered seacocks is that they can be easily repaired and lapped in many times. With a ball valve, if it starts leaking, you replace it.
The BV can be fully rebuilt in place IF it ever needs it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts