SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1978 31' Pearson in Groton, CT. I plan to sail it to Branford, CT and would to know if anyone in this forum has any advise or warnings. I took an intense one week sailing course and earned my ASA 101 and 103 certificates. One thing I learned is that being familiar with the goes a long way. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
That is about a 50 mile hike so it is do-able in one day. At a rate of 5 knots it could take 10 hours so don't be shy about using your engine to maintain 5 knots of speed. Also, try to time leaving New London with the start of the flood in the Race so the current is with you (see Eldridge Tide & Pilot manual). There are other harbors you could use to bail out in along the way so make note of those.
Watch out for submarines in Groton/New London and obey all nav aids around Faulkner Island - there be rocks there.
Most of all, enjoy your new Pearson.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Any new to you boat will have unexpected problems, no matter how good a survey you had. I'd daysail it a few times locally, before I took the trip, even though it's a short one. Make sure the engine works (motor a few hours, shift it a few times), the sails work (rig, sails go up, go down, aren't torn up), the rudder works, and the thing stays water tight. Everything else can wait for repair on the other end. Bring tools, spares, safety equipment. Pick a good day. Start early, listen to Caleb about tides.

Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congratulations on your new boat. I'm sure you've heard many of these, but I would get a copy of Eldridge if you haven't already and go with the flow; have a handheld radio in addition to your main radio; tow a dinghy; good chart; handheld gps (unless you inherited something better); look at places to duck in and anchor if you are tired or having problems (Niantic, Saybrook, etc; I'd get yourself loaded up and sleep on the boat if you are getting an early start; be patient with yourself; check your anchor set-up/rode; bring a way to re-charge your cell phone. If this is your first sail, I'd take a couple of days and enjoy it. If you are going solo, make a couple sandwiches in advance and put a cooler in the cockpit. Good Luck. I live in CT, but keep my boat in New Bedford. If your crew abandons you prior to sail and you don't want to go alone, let me know and if I'm not under my boat, painting, I'll give you a hand.
Greg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for the great advice.

Greg,

I will be sailing with my wife, but we are both new to sailing. I will definitely keep you in mind when it comes time to put the boat in the water. I really can't leave it at the marina where it is located and I have to move it to the marina I just signed up in.

Thank you,

Alex

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
Hi,

I sail that stretch often. You are getting good advice so far as to currents and US Navy traffic and some basic equipment to have onboard. There's also the ferries and a couple of things you could bump into along the way. Overall it's an easy trip as long as you have the weather.

Use Eldridges to try and catch the end of the ebb on the river - slack at the mouth - and then you can ride the flood to Branford. This will give you fair current for most of the trip (as the trip will be longer than six hours).

I'm not a Seatow/BoatUS member but for your first season with an untested boat it might not be a bad idea, just in case you need a tow in.

I'd also be willing to lend a hand if you need it (and our schedules work out). I can always hop the train back to New London or Mystic.

PM me or email me at (trysail)AT(gmail)DOT(com)

·
Registered
690 Posts
1st. Invest in towboat or seatow before you go. Well worth the investment if you have a problem.
2nd. look at the weather windows carefully. We've had a lot of really windy days this spring.
If you need help w/ pick up or drop offs let me know. I work in Branford and keep the boat in westbrook. email [email protected]
Jim

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Agree with the advice of many others here. Pick up the 2015 Eldridge Tide & Pilot ASAP and get to know how to use it BEFORE you head out. Lot's of good information. My copy is always sitting in the cockpit next to me whenever I head out. As someone mentioned take the last of the ebb from Groton into the Sound then pick up the Flood west. Use the currents to your advantage and it makes for a more pleasant trip. Also err on the side of taking the ebb from Groton earlier rather than last minute. Better to buck a little current while the boat is in the Sound rather than bucking it to try and get into the Sound and miss the full flood benefit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must say that I am impressed with the support the members of this forum provide. I will be getting Eldridge Tide and Pilot tomorrow. Those who offered to assist, please don't be surprised if I reach out to you. Even with the certification, I really didn't want my first sail to be 10 hours long. As I am not familiar with the waters, it adds to the challenge of getting to Branford.

Once again, thank you all!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Plan on leaving w/ the start of the flood at the race. Current speeds can easily reach 2kts til your past Madison. Can make a dramatic difference in how long the trip takes.
Jim

·
Old enough to know better
4,343 Posts
You can look at active captain to check out ports along the way. You might want to make notes on what ones folks say are good and bad. That way if something breaks or you get weather, or just too tired to continue you will know where to go. They have an app for smart phones as well. It is a handy site for sure.

I would make sure you allow at least two or three days to do this, not that it will take that long, but you never know. Also it is fun to be able to stop and have dinner off the boat and what not.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Hey,

Assuming you make the the trip a DELIVERY as opposed to a cruise, it should not take very long at all. I just plotted a simple route from Groton to Branford and it came in at 40 miles. Of course your trip will be a little longer but not that much. If you time the currents correctly you probably will average close to 7 kts. I bet the trip is closer to 6 hours than 10 hours.

I have bought three boats that I needed to bring home. The first one (Newport 28) was 35nm away in Mamaroneck. I brought it to Mt. Sinai and we did it in 5 hours. We got super lucky with the weather and sailed just about the entire time. The second boat (O'day 35) was in Newport RI. I did that trip in 2 days with my dad and a delivery captain for help. This time the weather wasn't great for sailing but the currents made for another fast and easy trip. The last deliver was October 2013 when I bought my C&C 110 home from Mystic. It was blowing stink the entire time, but fortunately was directly behind us. I flew just part of the headsail and we did 55nm in 7 hours for an 8 kt average.

Time the currents, don't be afraid to use the engine, and have at it.

I assume you are going to study the charts and plan a route well in advance. There are numerous shoals and other obstructions along your route. If you plan accordingly, it's a simple trip.

Good luck and have fun.

Barry

I must say that I am impressed with the support the members of this forum provide. I will be getting Eldridge Tide and Pilot tomorrow. Those who offered to assist, please don't be surprised if I reach out to you. Even with the certification, I really didn't want my first sail to be 10 hours long. As I am not familiar with the waters, it adds to the challenge of getting to Branford.

Once again, thank you all!

·
Registered
267 Posts
General stuff on delivering new (but old) boats.

Make sure your engine is in good order. Change the oil (even if the PO said they changed it recently) and filter. It would be a good idea to change the fuel filters as well. Check coolant level. Might as well get to know the engine a bit now, you're in for a long (and hopefully enjoyable) relationship. Run the engine for a good hour or more (after changing oil/filters) before leaving on the trip. Check for oil and coolant leaks. Make sure the belts are tensioned well and look good. Replace them if they look worn. Carry a spare gallon of antifreeze/coolant and oil aboard (if you don't end up using it, it will still be good next season). A spare set of belts wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Bring a handheld VHF and get a Long Island Sound chartbook so you can see the whole journey and will have charts for all of the ports along the way.

You can get all this stuff at Defender, which is right near Groton. If Defender doesn't have it, the West Marine in Old Saybrook is huge, as is the one in Branford. Better prices at Defender, generally though.

What everyone says about the tides and currents is spot on. Tides and currents are a way of life on the sound.

As far as the path goes, keep an eye out for long sand shoal off of the Connecticut river. There are some real shallows there. Duck Island Roads off off Westrbook is a great place to anchor for the night if you want/need too. Don't know if I would stay there on a 30'er if a real storm was coming through, but it is an easy in/out anchorage in a calm night.

The area around Branford is fairly rocky, so you don't want to mess around with cutting inside markers until you really know the area. Never went in to Branford myself so I can't give any details about the harbor. Check Active Captain out. It's a great resource.

Southern New England is really one of the great cruising areas in the world. Get to know the area and you'll have a blast.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My plan is to spend the next two weekends getting the boat ready. I will be taking inventory to see what I have and what I need to buy in order to make a pleasant voyage.

I will be spending the days planning and charting the trip.

Alex

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sparky: I made the exact same trip when I bought my Oday 23 15 years ago! I sailed her from the yacht club next to the UConn campus (can't remember the name of it now) all the way to Goodsell Point Marina in Branford. We did the trip in one day; one loooong day. The first third of the trip, there was too much wind, the middle third was perfect, and the last third we had to motor. I seem to remember the trip taking about 9 hours, give or take.

Where are you going to be in Branford? I left Goodsell at the end of last summer and moved over to Bruce and Johnson. Welcome to the clubs: sailing and Branford!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts