SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very similar question as the one Sailchick is asking, but different - LOL

I am thinking about having a pump that I can throw over the side and use to pump water for washing down the anchor and chain as I bring it up. I have a windlass and I am motoring when I bring up the anchor, so there is an electrical connection (with enough power) I can access at the bow. I could keep the pump and a short hose in the anchor locker. Does anyone know if they make a submersable pump that I can just pull out of the locker, throw it over the side and wash everything off as I bring it up?

We have a well pump at the house that is submersable, but those are too big and expensive for what I have in mind.

cheers.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
submersable pump

Petar,
I guess you are right, I don't need a submersible pump I just need another bilge pump with a weighted hose and screen filter on the end to through over the side with the output going to another piece of hose for spraying the anchor. oh well, sometimes the best answer is the simplest. :p

it would be a good way to have a spare bilge pump rather than one just sitting in a box somplace.

thanks,

·
skipper
15 Posts
I am installing a washdown pump to hose off my aft deck(fish cleaning), anchorchain/foredeck, and supply salt water to the galley sink to save fresh water while doing dishes.

its just another domestic pressure water pump attached to a throughhull with three valves/outlets.

joey

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Most bilge pumps, which are usually centrifugal impeller designs, don't generate much pressure. I would look for an actual washdown pump, which are usually diaphragm pumps, rather than centrifugal ones. A 3 GPM pump will generate about 50 PSI IIRC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts