SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm installing my new autopilot X5 form Raymarine. For a proper installation, it is recommended to ground the corepack to a bolt or on the negative pole of the battery.
I'd like to know what kind of wire I should use? Does a stranded copper wire, 12 AWG could be OK?

Regards,

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I wouldn't ground it directly to the battery terminal, but to the 12 VDC system negative ground post or bus bar instead. Also, the distance determines what gauge wire to run. Look at the Autopilot's maximum amperage draw and base your wire size on that. :)

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I'll second Dawg's suggestion, as that is what I did with my S1 AP.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
I am doing the same with a new XM autopilot I am getting ready to install. Ground Bus on the panel.

Bene 305 let me know how your installation goes and any tips or insight you can offer as I will bedoing this in 3 weeks or so. First I have a new Blue Sea Panel to install followed by a new charger inverter.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bene305 for Beneteau 30.5 ?
I will have the Raymarine rep here in Hong Kong working with me to install the X5 on my First 31.7 next Friday (24th). Will take pics and will share if you're interested :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi,

I'm installing my new autopilot X5 form Raymarine. For a proper installation, it is recommended to ground the corepack to a bolt or on the negative pole of the battery.
I'd like to know what kind of wire I should use? Does a stranded copper wire, 12 AWG could be OK?

Regards,
man that welders wire is nice stuff use it for batt cables etc extra flexable more strands per inch than any wire sold at marina or auto ........ nice stuff used it in a commercial fishing boat never had to change it :cool:
Hobart Welders - Products - Accessories - Cables & Connectors

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
used it for years under harsh conditions liked it better than the norm flex [played a big part but ..worked great I will redo my sail with it no doubt......but each to their own i rekon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
I sailed a F305 for a long time....but now, I'll not install this pilot on that type of boat (the 305 I sailed had a tiller!).
But if you have good pictures, it could be great to see them....the installation should be similar!
Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts