SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
No way we can answer the question of whether the claim would be covered. Negligence and gross negligence are very different things and are defined terms. Consequential damage is also defined in many policies, which is a loss caused as the consequence of not properly maintaining something, for example. What the policies are trying to say is if you do nothing to avoid a known loss potential, you can not ask the insurance company to clean up your mess. There is a similar concept in most homeowners policies. You are required to mitigate a loss. If a tree falls through your roof, then it rains for two days, before you remove it, you are expected to have covered the roof, before more damage is caused. They aren't going to pay for the flood, if you did nothing to mitigate it.

Navigational errors would surprise me if they were a problem, unless the insurance company could establish an unlikely scenario where they were actively warned and decided to go for it anyway. Who knows the circumstances. Mistakes are made. People get tired.

In the end, different insurance companies have different approaches to claims. It shouldn't come as a surprise that those with razor thin prices on premiums, often try to protect their thin margins by scrutinizing claims. Those that got paid more, may be less concerned about paying out. A good marine insurance broker knows which is which. Saving 15% in 15 minutes is not how one should buy insurance. Best value is not always the lowest price. Drives me a little nuts, when people give their personal experience as an indication. It's just an anecdote. Each circumstance and each State is different.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Probably whole bunch of words Al doesn't like. Maybe I'll start a thread titled "Words Al won't allow"
Let's try George Carlin's seven dirty words.......

edit.... nevermind. More of them made it through that I expected. :oops:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts