SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
583 Posts
That is a sad story indeed. Who knows what really happened and why it happened, and whether it will be covered by insurance.

As we all know- If its going to happen, it is going to happen out there.....

Jeff
=============================
were you alone?

·
Registered
583 Posts
those are tough navigating situations
few years ago since I live in NC thought will go south for the winter via ICW.
after a week found it impossible for one person to keep an eye on the markers, the chart plotter, the depth finder, never mind a paperchart either on the nav station below or trying to unfold it on the cockpit.
Turned back.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Don't always believe your chart plotter. Morning after a front came thru i rounded a corner in the ICW to see a sea of red and green bouys. It looked like someone had tossed a box of red and green Christmas ornaments out on the water. All mixed up. I chocked that up to the hairy night before thinking the storm had broke some of the markers loss, so I depended on the chart plotter. Plotter indicated channel was to port, off I went only to run aground on an ebbing tide. The bottom was sand, I could see it clearly as the boat leaned over. No problem, its lunch time anyway and we aren't going anywhere for the next 4 to 5 hours. Beware of Lockwoods Folly Inlet on the ICW.
============
good luck
I ran aground looking at a red marker firmly planted on a sand beach!!!!
share your thoughts, is almost like been in Mexico, the traffic lights and ICW markers? merely suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts