SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering what I ground my electrical system to if I don't have an inboard engine. I know that there are grounding plates that are used for lightning, but would I use the same thing for grounding a DC system? Thanks!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The 12 VDC electrical system is grounded to the battery's NEGATIVE TERMINAL. Grounding the 12 VDC electrical system and setting up a lightning grounding/bonding system are two different things.

·
Sea Dweeb
143 Posts
Hi Corey,

Bring all of the DC returns (ground) to a common point a ground bus.
Here are some samples to help you identify what you are looking for:

A Barrier Strip can also be used as a bus by linking the terminals together

The bus is ultimately connected to the NEG terminal on your battery
Hope it helps

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
FYI—The top image is a buss bar. The bottom image is a terminal strip.
Hi Corey,

Hope it helps

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I've never seen this called a barrier strip:

I'd also point out that a ground bus can take several forms... some use a single power post, like this:

Others will use a buss bar but the piece is actually called a BUSS BAR...A ground bus is an electrical concept, a buss bar is a piece of hardware that embodies the concept. :)

Dan,
Isn't that precisely what I said? Look again buddy "a barrier strip can also be used by linking the terminals"

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am just wondering what I ground my electrical system to if I don't have an inboard engine. I know that there are grounding plates that are used for lightning, but would I use the same thing for grounding a DC system? Thanks!
With the DC system grounded to the negative terminal on the battery, you have a floating ground not connected to earth, like a car or plane. On a boat with an engine, connecting the engine block to ground earths the ground via the prop shaft to ocean. Were you wondering whether you have to connect the ground side of your DC system to earth (ocean) so that it is not floating?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ground really is a misnomer. Call it battery negative and nobody gets confused.

Unless you have grounding brushes on the prop shaft i'm not sure i would depend on the drive train to provide an absolute earth.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Ground really is a misnomer. Call it battery negative and nobody gets confused.

Unless you have grounding brushes on the prop shaft i'm not sure i would depend on the drive train to provide an absolute earth.
Look what the cat dragged in!!!! :D :D :D

Welcome back man! Where ya been ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Corey,

Hope it helps
Great, thanks a lot. It does actually help quite a bit. I think in the process of reading all of this electrical info, I starting mixing AC and DC when it comes to grounding. So now it is a matter of getting the strip. Thanks a lot for your help, you too SD.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don't mix AC and DC... and if you're rewiring, try and use YELLOW wire for the DC ground wires. If you use BLACK wire for the DC ground, and you have AC on the boat, the AC hot wire and the DC grounds will both be black wires... which can lead to confusion and danger. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't mix AC and DC... and if you're rewiring, try and use YELLOW wire for the DC ground wires. If you use BLACK wire for the DC ground, and you have AC on the boat, the AC hot wire and the DC grounds will both be black wires... which can lead to confusion and danger. :)
No, I'm not literally mixing them. It was in my head. I have decided not to wire my boat for AC; however, I am still using the red/yellow combination in case of a change in the future. Thanks for all of your help, and I am sure I will be coming to you with something else soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts