SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend flying into Charlotte Amalie around 1700 and I was wondering about a good place to pick her up. I was thinking about anchoring in Brewers Bay and dinghing in to the beach. And after that hopping over to Water Island, and anchoring in either Druif Bay or Elephant bay for the night. Is this a reasealbe plan?

Thanks

·
Master Mariner
9,011 Posts
Crown Bay Marina is quite close to the airport and a good place to pick up people, west of CA. Yachthaven Grand on the east side of CA would also do nicely, if you are anchored there. Honeymoon is a great Water IS. anchorage, if there's room, within easy reach of Crown Bay.
I would recommend against a beach pick up.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Yup as Capta says anchor off Water Island as close as you can get to Crown Bay Marina and dinghy in.

Alternatively they sometimes are amenable to a 3 hour short term dockage

·
Old Guy
47 Posts
Where are you now? Is GF a hearty sailor chick or a girly-girl? You planning on poking around town a little or heading to STJ/BVI right away? Tight budget or a little cash to burn? That slog from Charlotte Amalie to St. John right off the bat can be a PITA if the Christmas winds kick up, and a bit uncomfortable for someone who hasn't gotten their sea legs yet. Then again at 1700 traffic out to Red Hook is pretty nasty. Maybe get something to eat in Frenchtown and then taxi out east? OTOH if you've already sailed downwind to CA, maybe see if you can find a decent spot to anchor in Honeymoon and dinghy over to Crown Bay Marina. Lotsa choices, each w/pros and cons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im intranset at the moment but I will be arriving a week before she does. If the weather holds. Shes not a girly girl, and will be up for anything with in reason. Not beating in to 25-30Ks, but who is..
As for as money goes Im on a 6 month cruise so I dont have cash to blow, if I don't need to. I'm planning a very loose itinerary for the winter, island hopping south.
It's been years since I was in CA, I dont need to spend any time there and after I pick her up we will be heading to St. John then BVI. for a 10 day cruise.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
I have a friend flying into Charlotte Amalie around 1700 and I was wondering about a good place to pick her up. I was thinking about anchoring in Brewers Bay and dinghing in to the beach. And after that hopping over to Water Island, and anchoring in either Druif Bay or Elephant bay for the night. Is this a reasealbe plan?

Thanks
Nothing wrong with that plan at all. Why not just spend the night in Brewers? By the time she lands and gets off the plane and you get to your boat it will be well after 6. Why not have a cocktail either at the Beachcomber or Emerald Beach to welcome her and then head out to your boat? Another option that few people take advantage of is to pick up a free mooring in Christmas Cove. Dinghy over to the Elysian in Cowpet Bay and have your GF take a cab to the Elysian from the airport.

·
Master Mariner
9,011 Posts

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,011 Posts
Not sure what that is supposed to mean but the cost is less than $20. Feel free to look it up here. US Virgin Islands Taxi Rates & Information for St. Thomas or here St. Thomas Island Guide: Taxis & Rates or here St. Thomas: Public Transportation - TripAdvisor or here Best Taxis in the Virgin Islands, USVI

Check your keyboard, apparently your $ key sticks. :D
A few years back a taxi from the airport to Crown Bay was us$8.00 plus a charge for each bag and that's probably only a bit over mile. I've taken plenty of taxis around STT and I can assure you that they are bloody expensive, published rates or not. There are buses one can take that are reasonably cheap, however.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
A few years back a taxi from the airport to Crown Bay was us$8.00 plus a charge for each bag and that's probably only a bit over mile. I've taken plenty of taxis around STT and I can assure you that they are bloody expensive, published rates or not. There are buses one can take that are reasonably cheap, however.
I'm sorry you were probably taken advantage of years ago by a taxi driver. Events like that might be the reason there is a very large sign at the airport with published fares on it. The Dept of Licensing and Consumer Affairs takes price gouging by the taxis very seriously especially since our economy is based upon tourism. The posted taxi fares are easy to find online and all taxis are required to have them available to passengers. There is NO room for debate on the prices. Like anyplace that doesn't have a meter in the taxi, one should ask the price before getting in.

There is a charge per bag. I can't remember if it's $1 or $2. There are VI busses, which I've never been able to figure out, along with open air taxis (called safaris). The safaris run a generally clockwise route around the Island and charge $2 unless it's a very short trip. One would have to take two different safaris to get out to the east end and that would be after a long walk from the airport to catch the first one. Safaris stop for anybody beside the rode and it's a very slow trip from the airport to Redhook. A safari isn't going to stop within a mile of the Elysian so there was no reason to suggest that as an option.

I have taken plenty of taxis and safaris on all three of the USVIs so it's pretty pointless of you to try and assure me of anything regarding the fares but continue if you must.:confused: Most that spend much time here quickly figure out that is much cheaper to rent a car than to take taxis but the OP asked about places to pick up someone. I provided input on that.

If you wish to continue about taxis, perhaps you should start a new thread.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
I assume that long sea wall in front of Charlotte Amelie is off limits. I never see anyone tied up.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
No Minnie it is not off-limits. In the next few weeks there will be a few mega yachts Med moored to it. I see larger vessels pull up there to be fueled from tanker trucks. For more average sailing vessels it can be a poor choice because the wind and waves are usually pinning you against the seawall. To protect the boat effectively it requires some pretty big fenders or large truck tires like the ferries use. It also shallows up in a couple of spots. The mega yachts run their very long gang planks out the stern after setting two anchors and backing down so that they never get within 10' of the concrete. I have seen some charter boats pull up there to clear customs by the seaplane base. Catamarans have better luck since they don't roll so much pulling the fenders up and over the wall like a mono... Not a pretty sight or sound when that happens!!!! It makes more sense to drop the hook and dinghy over to CYOA and pay a couple of bucks to use the dinghy dock or grab a CYOA mooring (if available). Dinghies without stern anchors get badly abused against that rough concrete wall.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
Thanks, Far Cry. Makes more sense now. I can't recall the number of times I've stared and wondered.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
On a calm day with flat seas it would be fine for a short time. There is a lot of traffic noise and not someplace I would consider spending a night.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
On a calm day with flat seas it would be fine for a short time. There is a lot of traffic noise and not someplace I would consider spending a night.
I guess that would be the deal then. If calm, go to the wall and grab guests and luggage easily. If not, drop hook and dink in.

I know there are plenty of other places to pick up a guest, but CA seems the closest for them to get to from the airport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts