SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This summer, I decided to take a sailing class and now I'm pretty much hooked and am looking for a boat for myself.

My neighbor has had this laser2 in his driveway for as long as I can remember and I asked if he was trying to sell it recently. I am really interested in the boat, but I am not quite sure what I am doing and how much I should pay. It is a 1987 Laser2 with a trailer.

If I could get some help that would be much appreciated!

-Cory

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
The Laser 2 is a good boat. My son Spike spent many hours racing one. I would guess and it's just a guess, that if the boat, sails and trailer are in good shape you might offer $2,000. Make sure that all the pieces are present, rudder, daggerboard, whisker pole etc. You could check on Tasar prices. They are similar boats but have the price advantage of being more popular than the Laser 2.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I sail a laser 2, it is a great boat for 2, and fun for one to sail although a bit of a handful. If it is the newer boat with the spinacker launching set up under the deck and all the gear in good shape 2k woud be the top of the range. There are a lot parts so check. If you are interested in racing there are better choices since the class is pretty dead, but for a fun small boat it can be hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your response. My sailing experience has been on larger boats such as the Cal22.. I don't have any experience sailing a Lasor or for that matter any dinghies. I know every boat has different uses. But would this boat be hard for me to sail without any prior experience with dinghies? Also, With a boat like this, would I be able to relax while I sail as well as get some speed going. I have never done any racing before but I do like getting some speed on the water. I just want to make sure this would be the right boat for me.

Thanks,
-Cory

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Cory:
The Laser 2 is frequently used as a "trainer" by junior groups. That's where my son was introduced to the boat. It's an easy boat to sail. You may want to wear your bathing suit for the first few time as you may go swimming. But that's just part of dinghy sailing. It helps you learn quickly. Learning to sail the Laser 2 well will make you a far better big boat sailor. The quicker you learn, the quicker you will relax.

·
Barquito
3,756 Posts
If you are by yourself, you will need to tend to both the main and jib. How relaxing or exciting the ride is will depend a lot on the weather. Be happy with what the day brings. Agree with Bob, you will become a better sailor learning in a small boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts