SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP!
So I'm brand new to sailing and I've been looking for a 'cheap-ish' drysuit for the next cold weather season. I found what I think is a fairly good deal for a "Gul Infra Drysuit Front Zip (no suspenders) - Navy / Silver LARGE" . However, I've never heard of Gul and no one on my sailing team has either. It's priced at $265 which I thought was a decent price but if the quality isn't good I won't waste money on it.

Is it a quality drysuit I should buy (for racing and practice)? Also is it a big deal for it to not have suspenders?

I'm willing to fork over some money if a drysuit is not something I should skimp out on money wise (but FYI I'm a college student)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
That is a huge problem when buying on line. A lot of times you get a cheap Made in China piece of gear that is just worthless. I would first check with your local sports supply store to see if they work with this brand (ship to store). Or try to find quality brand but used dry suit, either locally or on line. $265 is still a lot of money.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Are you sure you need a drysuit? They're really only for dinghy sailors in cold water.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
A full drysuit may be overkill for general sailing use. If you plan on diving or plan to use it as an emergency suit, it may be useful but spending a day inside a full drysuit while on deck may be a bit hot and sweaty, not to mention the elastic neoprene neck choking you all day. I have a Goretex drysuit top aboard but have never used it on the sailboat. It would go with me if I had to get in the liferaft. You may be better off with a good sailing jacket.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Gul are a well known brand outside of the US (they are an English company), they make a lot of wet (and dry) suits for divers, surfers etc. As above though, unless you are in a dingy, or a very wet boat, you may be better served with good thermal layering and quality outer shell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts