SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

gulfstar 44 purchase ?

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  EagleSailtwo 
#1 ·
hello all,

i am looking at a 1980 gulfstar 44 for purchase. after a two hour self inspection i found a few concerns i'd like to ask about.

the deck was "thumpy" at one of the rear chainplate piercings off the lower spreader. it was not a large area, perhaps 16" square. i suspect that it would be the same sort of repair as most boats with a balsa cored deck. i was unable to get to the chainplates and to find how they are fastened and how dependent they are upon the deck.

in the lazerette, above the skeg (i think) is a steel plate, just forward of the rudder post. it has several not too big (i remember either 3/8 or 7/16s likely)
it appears to be a backing plate of some sort, fairly substantial. it was very rusty, flakey, swollen etc.

my questions are these: what is that plate? how is the skeg attached? integral to the hull? bolted? both?

and, are there any known deficiencies back there?? (or anywhere else for that matter) to be extra cautious with on these boats?

i'm not trying to avoid a survey. i am stupid enough to buy an old boat to live and travel on, but not without a survey. just want to know all i can before making an offer or walking.

otherwise the boat seems solid albeit fairly tired looking.

i hope to get it for in the seventies.

thanks to all,

peter hiltner

See less See more
#3 ·
Gs 43/44

Probably he has moved on and we'll never know the outcome..... I own a GS 43....The GS44, the next generation to the GS43....was also as well built. The design was answer to deficiencies the 43 had for extended voyages....more water and fuel capacity, making a true ocean passage maker without compromises, although the GS43 was a better performer under sail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.