SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, thanks for any replies and help!
Does anyone have any info on the British Halcyon 23''s?
I can''t seem to find too much on them anywhere! I''m considering buying one and just mulling it over in my mind...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hi there - don''t know if this is too late, but I only just found your message. I have owned and sailed a Halcyon 23 for the last 3 years, and had a lot of fun in her. We''ve done about 2000 miles around the East and South English coasts.

She has been an ideal boat for a the first time owner. (My other agenda is that I do want to trade up adn will be selling her at the end of the season. I want to stand up below and go further than is fun in 23'').

Things I would look for again:

a) state of the engine. The originals were petrol and very unreliable.
b) leakage between the decks, and particularly under the unremovable bridge deck, is a problem with many Halcyons (and other Offshore class yachts). It''s not a huge problem, but can make life a little damp occasionally
c) state of the sails - basically because these are now getting older.

And generally - mine is 30 next year, which is getting on a bit, so of course surveys etc are necessary.

Having said all that - I think they are one of the most seakindly, durable little ships about and, as I said above, I''ve done a lot of travelling in mine.

If you are still wanting to know more etc, then do reply.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts