SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am currently in Halifax NS waiting for the US border to open to Canadian sailors. I am hoping this will happen before the end of October. At that point I want to cross over from Nova Scotia. I am a solo sailor on an Ontario 32. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been a gorgeous late summer, early Fall in the Northeast US. Much nicer than this past Spring. However, it turns pretty fast, so you're running out of time. What the longer term plan?

I don't understand the dynamics on our northern border. They make no sense on either side. It must be childish governments retaliating against the other mouthing off too much. Both ways. Let vaccinated people move unrestricted again. The unvaccinated can go live in a cave.
Hi, The long term plan is sail to Jamaica and leave the boat there or Panama. We will then winter in the Caribbean and summer at home. I am still looking for crew for the trip if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have sailed from Newfoundland to the states twice. Lots of head wind and/or no wind. Depending upon time of year. Starting to get late in the season. I crossed from Shelborne to the Marblehead area. About a 36 hour trip.
Hi, Thank you. As I get older the long runs are getting harder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't remember if one can cross the Bay of Fundy in a day, but if I were sailing in cold, contrary weather, I'd do short daylight hops.
We were just looking at the pilot charts for that area from that time thru Jan for a delivery Nikki has been offered. It looks as though the wind should be N to NW the majority of the time, with one calm day per month (lol).
Short day trips sounds wise. I am looking for the shortest crossing from NS. Once in the US, I can take my time and stay safe. Do you know of any groups that are going south this year?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know of no such group, especially that late.
I'm with eherlihy on the group thing. I could not bring myself to set sail from one place to another in the company of other boats. How many of those skippers are only there because they doubt their abilities to the point that they will rely on the "company" of other, just as inexperienced, skippers?
Hi,
I see your point. This being my first trip south, I was hoping to buddy boat. I sailed solo this far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts