SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've got your standard 2 clips on the halyard of my spreader flag halyard. Question is, what do you use (or how do you) string multiple flags and pennants so you can remove or add flags quickly?

Dave

·
Administrator
7,568 Posts
Thin cable ties.

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
I use nylon sister clips.

I have a set on my halyard, which I connect to each other to close it when it's not in use, then I have more of the same clips more or less permanently attached to my flags so that I can just clip them inline.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Hi All,

I've got your standard 2 clips on the halyard of my spreader flag halyard. Question is, what do you use (or how do you) string multiple flags and pennants so you can remove or add flags quickly?

Dave
The least costly yet very reliable method that has been used for, literally, centuries involves nothing more than two wooden pegs joined by a short length of "small stuff" through a hole in the center of each. At one time signal flags all came with one set attached (e.g. our set, purchased in the late '60's). If not any longer, one can easily make them with nothing more than a 3/4" diameter hardwood dowel cut into three inch lengths with a hole drilled through the center of each. Pass the ends of a 4" length of 1/8" line through each and knot the ends. Then simply pass the dowels through the grommets on the top and bottom of each successive flag. Ideally the upper end of the flag halyard should be fitted with it's own dowel/peg and the lower, simply a loop but most use snap hooks.

FWIW...

Reactions: Dave_E

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am I the only one that just has flags with a loop at one end and a tail at the other, allowing you to quickly tie a double sheet bend ? Guess my sea scout heritage is showing.

For the flag line (it's not a halyard as no sails can be raised, although that is appaerently an uncommon opinion), I had a loop spliced into one end of it on my last boat (currently lacking one, but would do so again) for that same purpose.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

For the flag line (it's not a halyard as no sails can be raised, although that is appaerently an uncommon opinion), ....
Ah...perhaps in your world. In ours, any line used to "haul" a object to a "yard" (or these daze, a spreader) is known as a "halyard". In fact, even the US Navy still refers to "Signal Halyards", commonly 3 on each side of a "main mast" (although that may now be a "radio mast" for electronics). Even today, when radio silence is being observed, signals are passed within the fleet by Signalmen launching signal flags and pennants from "flag bags" maintained on both sides of the signals masts. (And, for what its worth, the peg and pendant connection method is used as it is the fastest way to attach flags/pendants to the signal "halyards".)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts