SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Victoria28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Catalina 28 Standard rig that is only for cruising.The mast is off the boat right now and I have replaced all four sheaves, installed exit slot reinforcing plates, cleaned and painted some minor corrosion(particularly where the aluminum mast sits on the stainless mast step), and I have purchased all new XLS halyards and topping lift.
My question to all is if I should have splices on the halyards or not?
The new sheaves are from Catalina Direct and the halyards are correctly sized at 5/16" (topping lift is 1/4").
I do wonder if there is enough room from the sheaves to the sail headboard to
allow a decent splice and shackle - or is this the reason that one of the PO's (who had installed 9/16" halyards that completely destroyed the sheaves) had used a whipped back bowline.
I do have some of the SplicingNut and am also looking for feedback on the use of them.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
991 Posts
Splicing Nut. ROFL... was there something wrong with a splice? That is worse than fender tenders!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I wouldn't use a splicing nut for a halyard. First, the UV will attack the plastic. Second the working load on them is pretty low. Third, if it fails, you're basically borked—since the halyard will drop the sail and then fall into the mast. If you are using shackles on the main, topping lift and jib, use a buntline hitch. It is compact and will not come undone and retains a lot more strength than does the bowline.

·
S/V Loon
61 Posts
Splicing XLS

The length the section with buried tail in a Type II double braid eye splice is 1/3 of a fid, and a fid for 5/16 is 6 3/4". Plus the buried tail is tapered. So the question how far above the headboard is the top of your sheave at full hoist?

Here are the XLS Spicing instructions for an eye splice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Splicing is easy, durable, and dependable. It is unusual for a splice to bind on a sheave in the mast.

The SplicingNut is an clever invention, however I'd be inclined to first experiment with it at a location where you can monitor its longevity and performance. Someplace where if it fails you can quickly tie a knot to replace it: perhaps the mainsheet or traveler, not necessarily the top of the mast.

Read both the Disclaimer and Warnings, they are quite stringent: in part "The working load is a guideline for the use of a SplicingNut in good condition for non-critical applications and should be reduced where life, limb, or valuable property is involved, or exceptional service such as shock, sustained loading, severe vibration, etc."

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
There is nothing wrong with tying a good knot. This one will take up less room than the bowine, and is stronger. There is no thickening of the throat like a splice. I would recommend stitching the end in place.
Don't plan on untying it.

halyard knot.jpg

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I second the Buntline hitch. Very compact, stays tight but can be untied. The knot that Knothead recommended is a great knot as well, but it unties with a knife.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts