·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
35 Posts
$75 toy (my opinion)

I never use mine anymore. After the initial excitement I put it away to think about my next boat, not wind speed. Mine is very accurate, has options like avg speed, highest speed. It is somewhat fragile and I expect it to be broken next time I look for it. On the bright side when you sell the boat you can keep it for the next one, and children enjoy holding it out the car window. TJ

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello,

I have the first one. I think I paid less than $75 for it from Defender. Anyway, I like mine but don't use it too much since my new boat has a functional wind instrument. I used it more on the last boat (no built in wind instrument) to get a better feeling on when to reef, to make sure I was getting good performance, etc.

Barry

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
I've got one, a Skymate if I recall correctly, and I'd concur with the toy characterization. I've found it relatively useless and inaccurate. Every once in awhile I dig it out to reconfirm my impression. Save your money. You can see and feel the wind about as accurately.

·
Larus Marinus
1,756 Posts
I found a mast head instrument far more useful, mainly because of the relative wind direction at night. The wind speed indication in the night is useful too, when there are fewer wind speed indications to be seen.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I never use mine anymore. After the initial excitement I put it away to think about my next boat, not wind speed. Mine is very accurate, has options like avg speed, highest speed. It is somewhat fragile and I expect it to be broken next time I look for it. On the bright side when you sell the boat you can keep it for the next one, and children enjoy holding it out the car window. TJ
Get a Kestrel 1000 if all you want is wind speeds.

They aren't "toys", they are used by serious professionals to get ground speeds on winds.

On a boat... I don't know, they might not be as good an investment but certainly they are as accurate as a fixed base unit. I've used both. I'll use the Kestrel handheld when I'm out doing spotting and it's plenty accurate enough for the National Weather Service.

Completely waterproof and it floats!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology EA-3010U Handheld Anemometer: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Speedtech Skymate Windmeter at BestNest.com
Speedtech Windmate 200 Windmeter at BestNest.com

I'm leaning toward this one because of being omni-directional.

It appears as if a good Anemometer suitable for a 30' boat runs over 1,000 plus installation so the captain is not likely to splurge since we have the boat for sale.

Anyone have any experience with a handheld?
hehe I see what you like that last one...

The portable anemometer at the top measures the current, average, and maximum wind speeds in a variety of units such as knots, mph, kmph, f/m, m/s and the Beaufort scale.

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts
Very cool. What is the make and model?

It is called a Windtronic 2. I fabricated the mounting with some #12 copper wire and a pair of carabiners. I had a Kestrel before this but it was way too much trouble to hold it at arms length and point it into the wind to measure gusts while I was fighting to keep the boat upright! A quick glance at the Windtronic tells me what I want to know.

Windtronic 2 Wind Meter KITESURFING SAILBOAT PARAGLIDER - eBay (item 120318493376 end time Nov-13-08 23:00:00 PST)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a hand held Dwyer wind meter. Love the thing. It came with the boat, but it sells for under 20.00 dollars. I have been a weather observer contracted to NWS and FAA. This cheapy is accurate.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
The Windtronic (by Kaindl) is a very useful beastie. And tough! I left mine on a pole outdoors for 2 years. It survived (and logged) 119 MPH winds. It's logging function will run for a week before the unit turns off, and the lithium batteries lasted about a year between changes. Eventually, the whirlygig piece bored thru its jewel bearing and fell off, but I certainly got my money out of it.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
It is called a Windtronic 2. I fabricated the mounting with some #12 copper wire and a pair of carabiners. I had a Kestrel before this but it was way too much trouble to hold it at arms length and point it into the wind to measure gusts while I was fighting to keep the boat upright! A quick glance at the Windtronic tells me what I want to know.

Windtronic 2 Wind Meter KITESURFING SAILBOAT PARAGLIDER - eBay (item 120318493376 end time Nov-13-08 23:00:00 PST)
Probably not a good time to get one off eBay. We'll all be bidding against one another!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Actually, you're probably better off getting it via the buy it now feature...
Probably not a good time to get one off eBay. We'll all be bidding against one another!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have the Speedtech Skymate and like some others I used it a lot at first until the novelty wore off. Now I use it to win arguments with the Admiral when she over-reacts and says it's gale force out there I can demonstrate that it is barely small craft or when she says it is blowing over 25 knots I can show it is only 15-20 knots. Sometimes it gets her on board other times she simply dismisses it, but it does save argument.

·
Seasoned Salt
209 Posts
I also have the Skymate. I use it to calibrate my sensations to the actual wind speeds, which I find I tend to greatly over estimate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts