SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Handheld depth sounder?

11K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  arknoah 
#1 ·
Is there a hand held depth sounder that you would recommend for use on a sailboat? The HawkEye H22PX has very mixed reviews and I can't locate reviews on the Speedtech device.

#2 ·
We're on our second H22PX.. the first cracked and lost its seal, water got inside and it died.. this past summer #2 stopped working, wet inside again, with no visible flaws. Needless to say I'm discouraged. I think I'll contact them to see what they say. The nice thing about this one is it gives water temp too.

If they don't come up with something I'm pretty sure we'll try another brand next time.

Reactions: pturner
#3 ·
Reactions: pturner
#4 ·
#6 ·
I highly recommend this one.

It has all the features:
  • Depth
  • Water Temperature
  • Bottom type

I've had it for years and never have had to change any batteries.

Attachments

Reactions: StormBay
#15 ·
I used to have one of those. I had made mine from and old weight that had been used to counter balance a window. I had a squirrel y depth finder on my first sailboat that would go out whenever the engine was cranked and the old lead line would come in handy at times.

#14 ·
I've got the Hawkeye H22PX, but can't recommend it. Our first H22PX leaked and stopped working. Luckily, customer service at Norcross (manufacturer) seems good since they replaced it quickly with no questions asked. Now our second unit only works sporadically. I like the idea of a handheld unit for use on the dinghy and as a backup on the mothership, but it mostly stays stowed since it hasn't been reliable.

#16 ·
We've got a speedtech that's we've had for many years. Been reliable, no issues.

We find it useful when you're anchoring someplace new, that's tight. Put down the hook, and take a dingy ride testing the swing radius for depth. A surprise in the dingy is less costly than the sailboat :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.