SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am planning on moving from a hanked on jib to a roller furler. I am wondering what happens to my forestay. Does a new one get installed with a furler system?

·
Noah's Bosun
236 Posts
Depending on layout of existing stay (Toggles termination type etc) you may need to reconfigure to allow install of furler. Talk to your rigger.

Myself, I would be inclined to replace the forestay regardless. Assembly, disassembly of furler and foils takes some time, and drum and foils can prevent inspection of wire and terminations (depending on furler mfg) so best to start with new.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
As a shipwright I would have to concur replacement of for stay is a good idea unless the stay has been replaced within the past couple years ( cheap insurance) follow your riggers recommendations

·
19,485 Posts
Agreed this is a good time to replace the forestay, esp if it's gettin on in age. Opportunities for subsequent inspection is more difficult once the furler's installed with many of the designs.

Furlex provides a new forestay and mechanical terminal with their furlers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi. Next step after getting a Furlex unit is the install. My understanding is that it is a kit. Any experience from do it yourselfers? Is this something I can install on my own?

·
19,485 Posts
My understanding is that you can, as long as sending someone up the mast to hang the new (included) forestay is do-able. I think they provide a mechanical lower terminal.

..but I've not done it myself.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Can I take the mast down to attach the new forestay?
It can be done with the mast in place but also with the mast down.
If you take the mast down you can check the rest of the rig at the same time.

I have not installed a furlex but I replaced one with a Facnor system.
Did the job with the mast down.
Have also replaced the head stay w/roller furler with mast standing.

Planning is key..
Selden have good instructions available on line: http://www.seldenmast.com/en/resources.html
example here http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1380900729/595-018-E.pdf
The Furlex is normally installed without turnbuckle so you must get the correct for stay length.
Assuming your existing head stay is correct length.
Find out if you need any additional toggles at top and/or bottom
Take off old head stay (use halyards to support mast if mast is standing)
Assemble according to instructions.
Measure old head stay including toggles cut the new install bottom fitting.

If mast is standing you need to have a spare halyard to hoist the system in place while you hang in the bosuns chair.
Else
Attach the stay to mast and raise,

In both cases don't damage the profile..

More information here http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1416926327/595-540-E.pdf

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
oh boy! what to do? pay the riggers or try to it myself....
That depends on how handy you are :)

My furler has room for a turnbuckle inside the furling drum with threaded swage terminal at the bottom that go into the end of the turnbuckle.

I payed the the rigger to do the measurement of the old stay, cut and swage both ends of the new. Did the rest myself.

I have access to mast crane so we can take the mast of when we need to do it.
I we do most of the rigging work our self...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Pictures from my installation

The top end of the stay with the top section in place.

Putting the foil sections toghether

Foil sections joined

Top swivel and telescope section in place.

Drum in place
Note the toggle and link plate

Ready for to go back on the boat (mast with furling system)

Ready to sail

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quick question, apologies for the hijack...

Are you happy with your Selden sprit? I'm thinking of picking one up, and I think I have my installation pretty well sorted... But, any issues you might have had, or additional considerations I should know about?

Thanks...
No issues, but one useful thing to know..
Selden make many different versions of the "bow ring" and when I bought mine not all where listed in the catalogs. Luckily "my" rigger stocked most so we could test for best fit.

Plan before you buy, we used a spinn pole to check directions and angles.
On our boat the bowsprit diameter is more than for the spinn pole - take that into the equation.

We had to make an adapter plate to fit the ring.
Rest is just cutting the tube and fix end fittings.
The aft end is fixed using folding pad eyes - we have three
-Fully extended
-Half extended - we use this with the Code 0
-Retracted
The load here is downwards on the deck and sideways so only small backing plate needed.

Also fitted a bobstay for the code 0 loads
In this pic you can see
-the code 0 on furler
-Adjustable tack 1:2, this also prevent the furler from rotating during operation.

Aft end
Lead for the tack
The bobstay goes inside the tube and is cleated on the port side of the bowsprit.

The rotating ring bolted on to the adapter

Side view of the pointy end

·
19,485 Posts
A friend got ahold of a Selden sprit but not the 'ring'.. he's using a saddle mounted on the bow fitting and a multi-wrap velcro strap (like a clew strap for a loose foot main) to hold it there. Seems to be working well.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
No issues, but one useful thing to know..
Selden make many different versions of the "bow ring" and when I bought mine not all where listed in the catalogs. Luckily "my" rigger stocked most so we could test for best fit.

Plan before you buy, we used a spinn pole to check directions and angles.
On our boat the bowsprit diameter is more than for the spinn pole - take that into the equation.

We had to make an adapter plate to fit the ring.
Rest is just cutting the tube and fix end fittings.
The aft end is fixed using folding pad eyes - we have three
-Fully extended
-Half extended - we use this with the Code 0
-Retracted
The load here is downwards on the deck and sideways so only small backing plate needed.

Also fitted a bobstay for the code 0 loads
In this pic you can see
-the code 0 on furler
-Adjustable tack 1:2, this also prevent the furler from rotating during operation.
Great feedback, thanks very much...

Yes, I'll be using the 75mm diameter pole, and the final decision on which ring/bracket to go with is the only one that remains... You're right, the Selden catalogue is a bit lacking in that regard, I'd like to have a couple in my own hands before I decide.

I don't plan on using it for a Code 0 initially, we shall see... My arrangement might be pushing it a bit for the loads a Code 0 can impart, I'll definitely play with it for awhile before maybe trying that, and I've already got a bow ring near the waterline that would be ideal for a bobstay.

Nice pics, your setup looks very slick... I really value your input on this stuff, thanks again...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
A friend got ahold of a Selden sprit but not the 'ring'.. he's using a saddle mounted on the bow fitting and a multi-wrap velcro strap (like a clew strap for a loose foot main) to hold it there. Seems to be working well.
Thanks, Ron... I've also thought about the possibility of configuring something similar, using a spectra lashing or some sort of strop...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, perhaps doing the entire assembly myself and paying riggers to do the actually install (ie. climbing mast; measuring and connecting new stay) may be a reasonable solution.

I am handy and not shy about doing the work myself. I am just nervous about getting the measurement and cut of old and new stay correct. Plus, I don't have a bosun's chair; have never climbed the mast; so my only option would be to use mast crane to take down and put up mast.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
So, perhaps doing the entire assembly myself and paying riggers to do the actually install (ie. climbing mast; measuring and connecting new stay) may be a reasonable solution.

I am handy and not shy about doing the work myself. I am just nervous about getting the measurement and cut of old and new stay correct. Plus, I don't have a bosun's chair; have never climbed the mast; so my only option would be to use mast crane to take down and put up mast.
If you buy the kit from a local rigger you might make a deal that includes some installation help and some DIY - worth a try.

A bosuns chair is part of "necessary" equipment :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts