SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, I would like to know more about the "Christina" line of boats made by hans christian. I have tried to find info on them but so far nothing has come up, it doesn't seem that there are many of these boats out there. Has anyone had any experience with these yachts? right of the bat it seems that they were aiming for a more modern style of boat with better speed, compared to the normal "traditional" look that the hans christians are know for. If anyone has any info on these or have heard good/bad things please let me know

thanks.

Jeremy

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
They still look pretty traditional and still require a lot of varnish! But...they are truly beautiful, seaworthy boats. HC has gone through lots of changes in production and reliability over the years so older boats need to be well surveyed to insure that shortcuts weren't taken. The equipment and woodwork is always first class. The 6'6" draft is what turned us off to one some years ago as it was too deep...but they are one of those boats that all the dock walkers ooh and ahh about.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you camaraderie for you response!

The particular boat that we are looking at is a 1992, but the owner has had the bottom stripped, sanded and faired in 2001, he also applied blue awlgrip. Now the awlgrip isn't a problem, but the fact that the hull has had so much work done to it makes us a little uneasy on that year of a boat. I am more worried about the fact that the hull might not have been professionaly done and that it's more like a "quick fix" to sell the boat and 2 years down the road the problem comes back with the awlgrip covering any problems that may come up along the way.

thoughts?

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Well...I'd be more concerned about the bottom rather than the awlgrip. Sometimes stripping, sanding an painting can be a way to cover up blisters. A good surveyor will put a moisture meter on it and do some tapping to see if there is anything to worry about. Awlgrip can cover up some hull damage as well...but if there were glass repairs and done correctly, there really shouldn't be any long term concerns above the water line. Just be sure to take a good look at as much of the inside of the hull as you can. Lots of people just use awlgrip to renew an old/oxidized gel coat or prior paint job or cause they like blue boats better than white <grin>. Is it located in a hurricane zone? Is the owner the original owner? What dos the engine room look like? Is the price low vs. other Christina's? All clues about the care the boat has received and if there might be hidden problems or something might have happened to her.
All that aside...if she feels right to you...just get a good independent surveyor and be there yourself for the survey. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
christina

Dear Sailaway,
What happened to the Christina you where looking in to. Please let me know what you found out about the boat, as I also might be interested (if you're not) but I live in Greece. Have you visited the boat?
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When thinking about one of these boats (RUN) and never look back.
I was there. Once I get settled down I will post what I know and what I went through trying to buy one of these boats. Before this boat even touched water it was documented as unseaworthy from some of the best marine surveyors in the SF Bay Total cost of making a (NEW) Christina 43 seaworthy $80,000
Thanks to John Edwards

·
Registered
1 Posts
From "Lionheart of Clyde" Christina 40. I have read Mari D's post several times and find it too general, is it one boat in particular? What are you talking specifically about? My own boat is fantastic and I can't wait to circumnavigate in it. Are you looking at a wreck?

Regards

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been sailing a Christina 40 since 2001 and am forever thrilled with the boat. It is now in the Caribbean and takes the winds and seas nicely. She is a strong forgiving boat, sails nicely, has a comfortable ride at sea. I am a retired female and sail her singlehanded. I have friends that sailed theirs around the world. I recommend these boats highly!

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
3 new members with 1 post each and another with 3 post whats going on here????
Somewhat suspicious no doubt but while the locations and IP addresses suggest that they may not be totally kosher, there isn't a smoking gun. Nonetheless I'd suggest that people take the last few comments (other than Jim's) with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here, I may not have a ton of posts on this site but I can at least give my 2 cents to the Christiana line of Hans Christians. The Christiana would be our next logical step up from our HC33 to have the double rear staterooms with pullman berth midship very much like our 33.There is one in the sailing schools fleet up here in Berkeley and I have been able to tour it. Feels very similar down below to Prism. From what all the instructors say, this Christiana is surprisingly fast. She was hauled out and I got to inspect the hull shape below the water line. Luckily there was a Valiant 40 right next to her. If you covered the topsides with your hand, they looked like they could be sisters when it came to keel, rudder placement and hull design. Very cool boats, but I don't think I could give up my bowsprit!

Cheers,

Jon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im new here as well....and Im looking at the Christina 43.

What bothers me is access to her buried chain-plates.

I have followed 'Prism' and saw what was done to fit external chain-plates, good job!!

Can that exercise be carried out on the HC43C?

Looking forward to any replies.

Thanks

·
11,797 Posts
We have slip neighbors with a HC 43 Christina. Not sure about technical issues like the chainplates, but most boats have one issue or another.

The Christinas with their notched keels perform very differently than their full keep cousins. I've have sailedvny neighbors boat on a passage to Maine as well as Tortolla. She is heavy like a battleship. Safe cockpit and deck. Many different sailplanes with a stay sail for all types of wind.
Surprising good sailing in lighter air and can point high compared to her and other full keels.

Not crazy about the engine placement , due to smells, though it has great accessibility.

Accommodations are well put together and comfortable. Warm interior . Lots of storage and tankage . We have looked at this as our final boat and it is on our list. Ahead of it though are a Mason 44, Bristol 45.5. and a completely different kind of boat Saga 43. If the right condition 43 Christina became available at the right price I might relook at her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Chef2sail, yes her keel allows for a for more agility.

If chain-plates are moved and fitted on the exterior hull, will that alter her performance??

See a member here who did that to his HC33 'Prism'

Comments please.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having just looked at a HC43C.

I have several concerns about this particular boat and perhaps this style of HC altogether. While I appreciate what they were trying to accomplish with the sleek exterior, and modifications below the waterline so she sails faster than traditional HCs - they have not compromised in the craftsmanship below. I like that. My concern is I am looking at a boat that has obvious water damage to the teak in several places, odd places, near windows that don't open, on the back of the settee. The broker doesn't seem to know what happened with this boat. It is apparent on most of these spots that they have been expertly sanded and revarnished. This boat is currently no where near hurricane or typhoon areas... my biggest fear is if this is the damage we can see... what can't we see? Is it possible that this was in a hurricane and shipped across the country to be fixed up and sold??

Does anyone have any knowledge of a HC Christina propensity to take on water on hard tack? Or during large waves??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Christinas chain plates are embedded into the glass, did you check/see any tell-tale rust on the chainplates (interior) ?

Taking on water while beating?

That's a hole someplace!

:ship-captain:

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Most of these boats came with teak decks. They will be getting to the age where they may need replacing. This is SERIOUS money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I reviewed the photos and video i took on the boat, and yes at the base where it is attached to the deck, there is a faint sign of rust around it, even though the standing rigging has been replaced pretty recently. The thing i noticed down below is everything that was copper (kitchen sink faucets) the Stanchion pole is tarnished but not green, but there were bolts and metal pieces where i was trying to look at the wiring... corroded or green. They say the engine has been rebuilt, but several pieces also show the same signs of corrosion.... both anchors are badly rusted (on one) and the other is corroded, and the chain in the locker looks the same as the anchors. there are signs on the mast of flaking paint. there was no boot at the foot of the mast, and of all the places where things were joined to the deck, this is where I saw the most rust.

As far as the chainplates, they are down below in the salon area, and I cannot remember off the top of my head if they were brass or chrome, either way, they are tarnished... the stanchion pole looked like the brass had been cleaned but not polished.

the water damage below the chart-table is most extensive and delamination has occurred with the top layer of teak,

My gut tells me that this boat's story is a hurricane, capsized or, vandals got to it in dry storage and broke out windows and left the companionway open, sitting like that for years. the teak decks have been removed and replaced with non-skid surface,

So it is a "NO" for this boat... on to the next one.

Thank you [email protected]! Thanks for your input... it made me go back and review the video and photos I took, and I saw things I missed in person..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts