SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Happy Canada Day, will be in the Sidney parade with the dogs, sprog and missus, should be interesting. Doesn't look like getting out on the boat is on the cards though.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
We never even knew Canada Day existed until one year going into Richmond/Vancouver we had the longest border crossing we ever experienced in the 35 years of going up there.

We asked the border agent what was going on, he said it is "Canada Day". We said, to ourselves, what is "Canada Day"? :D

Paul T

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
We never even knew Canada Day existed until one year going into Richmond/Vancouver we had the longest border crossing we ever experienced in the 35 years of going up there.

We asked the border agent what was going on, he said it is "Canada Day". We said, to ourselves, what is "Canada Day"? :D

Paul T
Do the Americans have some sort of equivalent?

:p

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I think our 4th of July, Independence Day, is similar, but I think England still owns Canada, eh? :D

Paul T
Paul, it takes years of practice to get the syntax and timing of 'eh' right. You can always tell a foreigner who is pretending. Pronunciation is also not as simple as you might think.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Paul, it takes years of practice to get the syntax and timing of 'eh' right. You can always tell a foreigner who is pretending. Pronunciation is also not as simple as you might think.
I wonder if there is an English equivalent. "eh" is used as a declarative, an interrogative, and an exclamatory, often combined....all in one little word. Eh me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It was a great Canada day. Warm and sunny and a nice breeze for sailing in the afternoon. Fireworks in the harbor. Lots of guests from the US and France (St. Pierre) in town in preparation for the Halifax to St. Pierre race next weekend. Hopefully Arthur doesn't interfere!

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I wonder if there is an English equivalent. "eh" is used as a declarative, an interrogative, and an exclamatory, often combined....all in one little word. Eh me!
"You know?"

Canadian folks, please excuse my attempt at a little humor. We have traveled to British Columbia, & Canadian Glacier Parks for over 30 years, and have always thoroughly enjoyed the country side the people. :)

Paul T

·
Registered
134 Posts
Darn nice country ya got there. Love to sail over to your "tropics" - i.e., Pelee Island.
I was a (1813) Battle of Lake Erie reenactor last summer.
To bad you guys did not win that round - probably the only way we could ever get health care for all here in Gringolandia.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
It was interesting in the War of 1812 that the British did so poorly in the naval engagements (in spite of the Royal Navy's rep at the time) and very well in the land engagements. If it was not for a British general named Isaac Brock chances were very good that southern Ontario would have fallen to the Yankee hordes who had incredibly bad generals. Maybe if we had added a few Canadian soccer players to the American team it would have made a difference yesterday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts