1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
I like a good ending for a change:)

·
bell ringer
5,039 Posts
Lesson is that when someone on boat thinks it time to reduce sail, and someone else doesn't, you should do the conservative action.

Impressive they were going Bahamas to Bermuda and ended up in Halifax. Would have thought there when some other choices.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Good for them. They kept their boat to continue their journey. :)

Passing cargo ships helped

They were without fuel for four days. Passing cargo ships provided food, water and some fuel. It was enough to power the ship into Halifax.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
" She suggested taking the sail down, but Holland thought it would be fine. "

Sometimes being the macho man gets you in big trouble.

Glad it turned out ok. Must be one nice boat to sustain $75,000 in damage, be 87 years old and still be valuable enough to repair.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Big heavy boat for a couple to handle. I wonder if a boat of that age would be set up to be easy to handle, e.g. big-ass winches, reliable furling?

Something of that heft should be able to handle almost anything you get so long as you can appropriate sails and keep the water on the right side of the hull.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
" She suggested taking the sail down, but Holland thought it would be fine. "

Sometimes being the macho man gets you in big trouble.

Glad it turned out ok. Must be one nice boat to sustain $75,000 in damage, be 87 years old and still be valuable enough to repair.
I am quite sure if I would label this British sailor as a macho guy. The couple has taken this 87 year old boat around the oceans for last 10 years. We are humans, we make mistakes. In hind sight, we all see 20/20, especially the sailnet members here (does not mean you).

It is life, shiitt can happen out there to anyone of us. When time to go, we go. I wish I would willing to stay home bitching and trolling on sailnet 24/7. Will I live longer in a nursing home? But at what cost?

I hope the couple can re-bounce and back in sailing the ocean. :)

Reactions: davidpm

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Big heavy boat for a couple to handle. I wonder if a boat of that age would be set up to be easy to handle, e.g. big-ass winches, reliable furling?

Something of that heft should be able to handle almost anything you get so long as you can appropriate sails and keep the water on the right side of the hull.
"Reliable furling"??? Hmmm, I don't think so... :)

Hell, by the look of it, 32 days might not have been all that far off her normally expected passage time from the Bahamas to Nova Scotia... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts