SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Of course, one major difference between a boat and a well is the boat is going places, and the well isn't moving. Sway's really good at comparing apples to oranges. :)

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Of course, one major difference between a boat and a well is the boat is going places, and the well isn't moving. Sway's really good at comparing apples to oranges. :)
Dog,
You might want to consult someone about those long term effects from thorazine. The electrical wiring on the boat isn't moving any more than the well is and the vibration from a submersible pump is about the same as the harmonic resonance between your ears; severe. The only thing related to apples and oranges here is another fruitless post on your behalf on a subject that you've a 25 watt knowledge of. But, I still like you. (g)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sway—

Oh yeah, I forgot, you can't get your boat up past 5 knots. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, we mostly agree that HFT makes caveat-emptor crap. Ancor makes good stuff, but some of us find it expensive. Can you all stop the testosterone-charged ranting and raving now?

I am going to order a Molex 64016-0037 from Digikey. Molex makes good quality terminations and tools, and I don't have to pay a yachtie premium for them.

See for yourself: Digi-Key - WM9986-ND (Molex Connector Corporation - 64016-0037)

Meps

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
OK, we mostly agree that HFT makes caveat-emptor crap. Ancor makes good stuff, but some of us find it expensive. Can you all stop the testosterone-charged ranting and raving now?
Meps
Since the original post is over a year old, Maine Sail has had time to chill out on the crimper thing. Yeah, he cares about this stuff. Glad somebody does! His product comparisons and repair tutorials are brilliant & invaluable assets to this forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Crimpers..

I am going to order a Molex 64016-0037 from Digikey. Molex makes good quality terminations and tools, and I don't have to pay a yachtie premium for them.

See for yourself: Digi-Key - WM9986-ND (Molex Connector Corporation - 64016-0037)

Meps
Wow never thought I'd see this thread again..:D

You might want to consider a crimper specifically for heat shrink crimp connectors, as opposed to a double crimper. Heat shrink crimps are far superior at preventing moisture from getting to the tinned wire than standard insulated crimps.

Sailors Solutions sells a nearly identical single crimp ratchet tool that Ancor does only for much less than Ancor. They also sell the FTZ heat shrink crimp connectors for MUCH less than Ancor does. FTZ, IMHO are superior connectors to Ancor and also far more consistent. Seeing as FTZ makes their own stuff they are always the same quality and not sourced from the cheapest Chinese supplier of the week...;)

BTW Sailors Solutions are the same folks that designed and invented the Sensibulb..

FTZ Single Crimp Ratchet Tool $39.95 (LINK)

Actually about $4.46 less than the Molex unit..

FTZ Heat Shrink Crimp Connectors (LINK)

Image courtesey of Sailors Solutions:

P.S. The Ancor double crimp tool can be bought on ebay for $49.99 fairly regularly..

Ancor Double Crimp Tool $49.99 (LINK)

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,300 Posts
What do you use for crimping wires less than 10AWG?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
CP stopped taking his meds again... ;)
I have 3 indian virgins crimp all of my connections.

one holds the wire and connection in her teeth,
the second one whacks her on the head with a rubber mallet.
the third one screams.
I'm not sure if it meets any standards but mine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Your HF double crimper is not the same as my HF

When I first read this thread I was stunned. I have the HF double crimper but never it was all that bad, at least not to the degree being shown. So when I got home, I pulled out the tool and studied it. Turns out my HF double crimper is nothing like the one you have shown. I dug out my records and found that it was purchased on 10/29/2008 #97420-3BRA for $7.49. I just check and HF is still selling the same tool for ~$15.

my tool....
1) Does not have laminated steel plates for jaws. It has well machined jaws that are screw removable.
2) Looks a lot more like the Ancor double crimper than the HF version you have showed.
3) Seems to make better crimps than the ones you have shown.

I must say however HF does not have an Ancor clone of the single crimp for heat shrink connector. So I ordered the suggested one from Sailor's Solutions and find myself very disappointed. The unit came in a box with USA scratched out and the tool was stamped "made in china". The machining of the jaws is poor. I am thinking of ditching it altogether and paying extra $ for the Ancor version which is made in the USA.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The idea that a connector is 'swaged' through the plastic insulator is just ludicrous. That it makes an airtight connection is also ridiculous. I've done lots of wire crimping, all the way up to 500MCM cables, using our T&B 15 ton hydraulic crimping tool. Yes it DOES squeeze the spaces and air out from between the strands! 30,000 lbs of force against an surface area of about 1/2 square inch on copper or aluminum will do that. No hand powered crimper, even those big red handled ones can do that. I've cut the crimps apart myself to satisfy my curiosity. None the less, properly made crimps do work well.

I hate junk tools. My expensive Milwaukee pistol drill that is now 35 years old and has been used extensively for tapping still makes me smile when I use it.

Gary H. Lucas

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Words like "ludicrous" are tricky...

The idea that a connector is 'swaged' through the plastic insulator is just ludicrous. That it makes an airtight connection is also ridiculous. I've done lots of wire crimping, all the way up to 500MCM cables, using our T&B 15 ton hydraulic crimping tool. Yes it DOES squeeze the spaces and air out from between the strands! 30,000 lbs of force against an surface area of about 1/2 square inch on copper or aluminum will do that. No hand powered crimper, even those big red handled ones can do that. I've cut the crimps apart myself to satisfy my curiosity. None the less, properly made crimps do work well.

I hate junk tools. My expensive Milwaukee pistol drill that is now 35 years old and has been used extensively for tapping still makes me smile when I use it.

Gary H. Lucas
If you look a the leverage ratio on the "red" crimpers (36:1), the force (40#), and the area (about 0.03sq " on 12ga) the local force is ~ 48,000 psi. Since the yield strength of copper is ~ 33,000 psi, it is going to flow. Less than the figure you quoted, but in the ballpark. The plastic is going to be a mess too, no question. I think that is obvious, since the compressive strength of HDPE is ~ 10x less.

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Dang..Main can post a thread on a lousy tool and get 6000 plus hits..Jeeez...the guy is a magnet...to compete I have to add scantly clad girls risk moderation and I still fall short..;)

So I just thought Id spice his old musty therad up with a good Squeeze tool...hope this dosent crimp his style..:p

Attachments

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,409 Posts
Suddenly and inexplicably I'm intrigued by this topic. Stillraining, your post has clarified the crimping issue like no other.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know this thread is VERY old, although the last posts were just a month ago. Between this thread and his other on crimping, Maine Sail has done his usual over-the-top educational effort! I am getting ready to do a bunch of wiring changes on my 30 year old stock-with-"improvements" Sabre, and was trying to come up to speed on crimping. I now know 1000% more than I did. This thread all but convinced me that the HF unit was to be avoided, but since I was in there tonight on other missions, I took a look at it.

I want to second MeKNOTSail's assertion that the terrible HF unit in this photo-documentary is NOT the one that HF has on the shelf in Maryland today, 1/26/2010. The one that I picked up on sale today for $12.99 is very similar to the Anchor. The dies are readily removable with a single screw, and are cast. They vary in width depending on the connector size just like the Anchor, and since it is a casting instead of a pair of plates there are no "double-double crimps". The shapes are essentially identical to the Anchor. While the orientation is not identical to the Anchor (not entirely sure the difference, but every time I lined my tool up with the screen something was wrong), the interlacing, crimp shape, etc were the same.

I couldn't agree more with the effort and conclusions that Maine Sail provided -- for the HF tool he had in hand. If you can go to HF and actually see what you are buying, I think the price difference is much more worth it now.

Oh, one last thing -- these are for insulated terminals only. I'm still lost on what I'm going to do for heat-shrink terminals. Perhaps the Master Appliance 35804 for $21, looks identical to the higher priced units. Although then I'll be $35 into TWO tools, and maybe a single Anchor kit may be the answer....

Amazon.com: Master Appliance 35084 Ratcheting Wire Crimper Tool: Home Improvement

Harry

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Sorry, thought I had updated this post..

I posted this at SBO forums on 112/6/2009 and thought I had updated it here too..

Hi All,

Some of you may have read the ripping I gave the Harbor Freight Tools ratcheting crimper back in June of 2008 when I compared it to the Ancor ratcheting crimper. It deserved the ripping it got because it made very sub par crimps, which could potentially become a safety hazard.

That thread is: HERE (LINK)

Well, HFT has redeemed themselves and are currently selling a much improved version of the original ratcheting crimper I purchased.

In my opinion, after multiple crimps and pull tests, I can honestly say that it represents an excellent value.

While it is still not an Ancor it is a nice little crimper and at $15.00 it is sold at an very fair price. If you want a good ratcheting crimper I would not wait to buy one.

HFT changes vendors /suppliers and tool quality like you and I change socks so this particular crimper could be superseded by one that makes them .02 more profit next week.

L-R; The original crappy HFT crimper, the new model, and the Ancor:

Die measurements are close to the Ancor:

These are the actual measurements at full crimp measuring the crimp jaw not the strain relief jaw.

Ancor = Yellow 3.29mm, Blue 2.72mm, Red 2.19mm

HFT = Yellow 3.39mm, Blue 2.81mm, Red 2.30mm

Despite the HFT being nearly .1 mm off across the board, the crimps were strong and resisted more pull out strength than is required to meet the ABYC requirement.

L-R; New HFT Crimper, old version of HFT crimper and the Ancor:

The model #:

If you order a crimper from HFT and it has stamped steel jaw dies RETURN IT! The one with the stamped steel dies was the same model # as the "good one".:confused::confused:

As many know HFT is hit or miss on quality so be careful. If you can get your hands on this Chinese made ratcheting crimper, with the machined dies, not stamped steel, it is not a bad unit, especially for the price.

Savor this one, as you probably won't find me complementing HFT all that often I do just call them as I see them and this one is just a good ole value priced tool that works fairly well....:D:D

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Bought mine over 6 months ago..it does a good job.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, here comes the dissenting opinion.

I bought two of the ratcheting (not stamped). They did a piss poor crimp that can easily be tugged apart. I did better with my teeth and profanity. I would return it, but I think I will let it rest in a landfill instead.

I have not opened the second pair. I was going to give it to dad as a christmas present, now decided I do not want him making bad crimps either. I may try it just to see if I got a bad pair.

I am sorry Main. I would not reccomed this product. I am afraid someone is going to buy this, not tug test, heat shrink, and have possible issues in the future. If others have had the exact opposite experience, please let me know.

Brian

PS This is for insulated, anchor terminals - not non-insulated.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I just double checked and I have the ones mentioned above. They are not the stamped steel. I can provide a picture if neccessary. I will try the second pair and see it if does the same crappy crimps. Possible I got a lemon. But I would reccomend anyone go Ancor. That is my next purchase, regardless.

Brian

·
Registered
838 Posts
Simple fact with HFT is, YMMV. I buy stuff from them all the time, but not stuff I use every day. I buy stuff that I might use occasionally. I am an auto mechanic and I have a huge amount of money invested in quality tools (my toolbox alone cost about what my boat cost) , however I do not see the point of spending big dollars on stuff I don't use that often.

Some tools at Harbor Freight are of equal quality, some are not. For example, often I have to pry plastic interior trim pieces off interiors without scratching and breaking them. years ago I bought a set of Matco plastic trim tools for $20, well after losing all of them over the course of a few years I bought the same exact tools from HFT for $6. The quality is the same.

On the other end of the scale, I use impact drivers (picture a screwdriver that twists when you smack the end with a hammer) a lot (like daily) in an emergency I bought a bit at HFT, it broke the first time I used it, where a Snap On bit (at 10 times the cost) will last at least a year before breaking. So for critical high stress tools I buy the stuff off the Mac/Snap On/Matco trucks, because I only have to buy them once (unless I lose them, I lose far more tools than I break).

41 - 60 of 133 Posts