SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the boat over to Coupville this weekend. As we pulled up to the dock, we noted 18 feet on the depth sounder. We're in spring tides right now and when we started running the numbers, we determined that we were going to be on the bottom at midnight, lacking somewhere between one and two feet of water. I knew the bottom was smooth with no rocks from the locals and from previous trips. The weather was absolutely calm. We talked about anchoring out after eating in town or just letting the boat settle on the bottom and see how things go. I figured this would be as good as time and spot as any to see how the boat behaved with not enough water. We let it sit.

2330 hrs., Sandy woke me up and said "we're on the bottom, I hear the fenders creaking against the float". I got up and confirmed her suspicion. The dock lines were getting a little tight, so I loosened them a bit. Sandy was down below. I watched the boat for a bit and decided that I'd rather have the boat leaning away from the dock than into it, so I gave the boat a big push. It tipped over. Sandy let me know in no uncertain terms that a heads up would have been appreciated before tipping her over. Anyway, it was another two hours before we were level again and it was interesting trying to go back to sleep in the V-berth at a 10 degree heel.

Just after I tipped the boat over:

headed back to bed with a 10 degree tilt.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ummmm.... Hope you stay off the bottom on the way home, Ray..

I've never stopped at Coupeville.. What's it like?

David

·
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello David,

It's a lot like Langley, only not as well protected. They can get some wind in there in the summer evenings with on-shore flows. We don't go there that often, but it was Sandy's birthday, so we were looking for a place to go and eat at a restaurant. They have one in town that we both like that over-looks the dock.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The Admiral (Lori) says "It's not leaning over that much"

Oh, and she says Happy Birthday to Sandy...

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Great story!:)

Glad the tide didn't go out too far...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Ray,
I just got back from my boat about two hours ago, and sure enough, we were hard aground at the dock because of the spring tide. Mud here, so no damage. Excellent story! Love your boat below decks!

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Happy Birthday Sandy! Great story and pics Ray, we've had Laurie Anne out on the fuel float for the low tides, only good to -2.5 in the slip.

John

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ray,
Love your boat below decks!
I've had a tour. Nikko really is a beautiful boat, both above and below decks. I especially like the blue tile..

David

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
LOL... yeah, warning the people down below is a common courtesy when you're gonna tip the boat the other way. :)

·
19,489 Posts
Good tale, Ray, and happy birthday wishes too. In the past week we've attended friends' 40th, 50th and 60th birthday celebrations.. must be the season.

A Fraser 41 is sure to handle a gentle soft landing like that! It looks like her longish keel kept her from nosing down at all.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I notice you're reading "The Road"...not the feel-good hit of the summer. While I thought it was a memorable, if grim, book, I'm not sure if I would read it the same night I knew I was going to take the ground, hard.

·
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Geez, you're right about that book. I think it was one of "Oprah's" book of the month. Sandy is reading it now. I read it last summer. I was not jumping cartwheels of joy after that story.

Ron, it did stay level, fore and aft. I actually expected that would be the clue when we were on the bottom, that the dog, Sandy and I would all slide down and meet at the bottom of the V-berth bunk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts