SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm moving from end-of-boom to mid-boom sheeting.

Comparing Schaefer and Harken bridges and travelers, does anyone have an opinion about which is a better brand or better for this particular application?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Check out Garhauer. All metal, much less expensive. My 30 year old Harken works great!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Attachment to the boom is critical too. We had a Catalina 30 that had coach roof sheeting and was supposed to have three attachments to the boom.
The PO changed it to one attachment and the boom bent.

Reactions: dvuyxx

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I prefer the recirculating toron ball bearing set up with many of the Harken Travelers. Very fricionless when pulling a heavy load as when 'dumping' or 'playing' the traveller in gusty conditions to keep the boat 'on her feet'.

Garhauer has captive 'rollers' on most traveller cars and therefore have a bit more friction. They are quite robust when sized for the max. loads, and are quite reasonable in price. If you prefer a curved traveller track ... make a cardboard pattern of exactly what you desire, and send the 'pattern' to Garhauer (Guido) so that you get the exact curves you need ... dont 'calculate' the curves as this is subject to 'interpretation' and error.

Going from end boom to mid boom sheeting .... usually requires much heavier tackle and line diameter, etc. because of the 'Archimedian principle of levers'.
FWIW - Many of the 'higher priced' boats are returning to end-boom sheeting because of the minimum forces involved ... and usually the traveller controls and mainsheet are 'more convenient' to the (singlehanding) helmsman ... and you have less loads to pull.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to discuss the pros and cons of mid-boom sheeting (discussed ad nauseum in previous posts) ... I need to get the mainsheets out of the cockpit ... Family boat with small children and ample passengers. On the P35, the helm is right in front of the companionway.

Definitely attaching to three points on the boom. I'm having a rigger help me.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
a friend of mine bought a p35 that this was done to and it was a pain to sail the boat. it had an 8 to 1 main sheet and we still had to use the winch to sheet in close. the traveler had to move all the way to the stops to be close hauled as the blocks were more the half way forward on the boom. we moved the blocks back on the boom and this helped the leverage problem some but put the blocks right in the companionway and you would hit your head on them. he now has end boom sheeting and we ran the sheet from the blocks on the end of the boom forward under the boom to the mast and down to the deck, then back to the cleat on the cabin top

·
19,485 Posts
Looked at the layout of the P35.. are you considering a bridge deck traveler or forward of the companionway? Considerable difference in leverage between those two locations..

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
On a P35 the top of the front edge of the companionway is at ~30% of the boom length ... meaning that whatever it takes now in force to 'pull' the mainsheet, with the traveller at 1/3 its distance along the boom from the gooseneck, you will need 3 TIMES the force, and 3 times the amount of 'rope'. If you think end boom sheeting is dangerous, think about that BIG pile of 'rope' that youre going to have in the cockpit to operate a traveller that is 3 times closer to the mast/gooseneck. Right now you probably 3:1 or 4:1 sheeting ... think about how much 'rope' its going to take to operate 9:1 or 12:1 sheeting.

Long ago a I had a P30 with very similar proportions ... after analyzing the forces and distances with mid boom sheeting .... I moved the traveller further BACK towards the stern coaming (and made the lazarette opening 'smaller').

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noted and appreciated. My rigger and I are going to look at it carefully ... different options pros and cons.

This will be a bridge traveler mounted over the companionway. Here is a P35 with a similar setup:
7th Heaven

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Have you considered a basic "A" frame mainsheet mounted further aft on the coach roof and configured to clear the dodger?

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CC I'm not sure what you mean. What we are planning would be on a bridge traveler, as far aft as possible on the coach roof, slightly over but still allowing for clear descent into the campanionway, just forward of where my dodger snaps down.

See similar setup (scroll to bottom of page): 7th Heaven Is that similar to what you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
CC I'm not sure what you mean. What we are planning would be on a bridge traveler, as far aft as possible on the coach roof, slightly over but still allowing for clear descent into the campanionway, just forward of where my dodger snaps down.

See similar setup (scroll to bottom of page): 7th Heaven Is that similar to what you're talking about?
Take a look at #14 on this thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailboat-design-construction/38315-traveler-vs-twin-mainsheets-2.html
It would allow you to get the sheet attachment to the boom further back, give you p & s control and eliminate the traveler.
A lot of Pearsons have exactly the problem you are trying to solve. On the P28 forum some who did what you plan did not like it, because of the increased work load and/or got to buy a new boom. My P28 had a version of this sheeting but installed boom end and on the cockpit seats pretty far aft. When my wife got slapped in the headby the mainsheet during a tack and I investigated solutions and ended up with a traveler mounted on the tiny and crouded aft deck. It is okay, but does not give me the control the above system would.

·
Break, curse, fix, repeat
276 Posts
Just a quick note to say I replaced the original Schaefer mid-boom traveler on my Gulf with a Harken model and love it. I upgraded the size and strength for heavier use, and I think the model I got was called Big Boat or something like that. A Gulf is only 32 feet but 16,000 lbs, and although relatively under-canvased it means I keep full sails up in heavier winds because she still doesn't heel too much.

My Harken experience was excellent and the traveler is both smooth and bomber. Happy customer.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'm moving from end-of-boom to mid-boom sheeting.

Comparing Schaefer and Harken bridges and travelers, does anyone have an opinion about which is a better brand or better for this particular application?
I hope you have considered the strength of the boom itself. Typically a boom for mid-boom sheeting has to be stronger than one designed for boom end sheeting.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Not to discuss the pros and cons of mid-boom sheeting (discussed ad nauseum in previous posts) ... I need to get the mainsheets out of the cockpit ... Family boat with small children and ample passengers. On the P35, the helm is right in front of the companionway.

Definitely attaching to three points on the boom. I'm having a rigger help me.
Be sure your boom section can handle the loads of mid boom sheeting. Some can not and can snap as a result. Good news is riggers often have booms around that can handle the loads from converting for furl booms etc....

Harken & Schaefer are great products but so is Garhauer, only the Garhauer will be about 1/3 the cost...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.