SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to sailing so also to sail boats. I have a 21' Aquarius and have sailed it for the past year mostly single handed. I am concidering installing a Harkin High-load furling system. This system seems to be all I would need and would not cost more than what I paid for the boat.

Does anyone have any experience with this system or have any suggestions.

Thanks for any advise
JD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am starting to find that out. I think I would not have to have the sail altered but the hanks would have to be removed and luff tape installed. Does that sound right? Like everything else one thing leads to another.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I am faced with the same problem with my J24 the boat is easy to sail alone BUT the sails are a PITA to put away buy yourself.

I have worked on finding more people to sail with to solve the problem :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You would need to have the sail altered, in my opinion, because there are considerable differences between the shape of a true roller-furling sail and that of a hanked-on sail. For Instance, the foot of a roller-furling sail is hollowed out to allow the sail to roll up uniformly, while the hanked- on foot is full giving it the "deck sweeper" effect. Also,the way in which the tack ring is configured and attached is quite different. There are many other differences as well. When I approached my sailmaker with this vary dilemma, he was willing to do it, but when the cost to all of the necessary modifications broached 1/2 the cost of a new sail measured to fit my boat with the roller-furling, I opted for the new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been checking out the CDI flexible roller and it maybe the way to go. I am told that most sails with the hangs removed and luff tape installed should work. It does concern me when I am told something will work BUT..........So
I am going to get a price from the sailmaker down the street..altered and new.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts