SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Mark,
I wish I could give you some encouraging information. How low is the low you’re coming off and how high is the high? The San Rafael Channel hasn’t been dredged in years and is both filling in and hard to follow. As I recall, there are (at least) two humps you have to go over coming in and a third when you turn for Loch Lomond. Once you get into San Rafael Creek proper, it deepens considerably all the way to SRYC. To compound the problem, there are only one or two channel marker pilings still in place. For me, it is sweaty palm time all the way in (I draw 6’). Because the channel is no longer uniformly deep, pay close attention to your depth sounder readings and chart plotter position as well as visually sighting the remaining pilings. There are range marker shapes on shore near the creek entrance that you can use to line up on the channel too. I seem to drag in the mud at least once while transiting. You have the right idea going in on a rising tide. Be careful, don’t get distracted, and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Mark,
Those are good tides, you should have no problem. For practice, still monitor the depth sounder closely and feel your way down the channel. The closer you get to downtown San Rafael, the creek begins to take on a “Venice” look and feel as the multistory condos and apartments come right down to the water. As far as I know there is no anchoring in the creek or channel. Lock Lomond and San Rafael marinas have overnight berthing. If you are a club member you can also go to SRYC or MYC (you use the marina docks for LLYC).

For what it is worth, we experience “depth” issues going into Coyote and San Leandro too.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If you want to anchor out, you need to go around Quarry Pt. and anchor off of China Camp. You can also anchor behind the Tiburon Peninsula at Paradise Cay.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
North,
It will be one very short list. Long Term anchorages: Richardson Bay. Short term free: Paradise Cay, China Camp, Clipper Cove, Aquatic Park. Short term paid: Alayla Cove, Angel Is. There are some hidey holes in the sloughs of the Bay but you are sitting in mud at low tide. The Delta has a bunch of spots but you might get kicked out after a while by local law enforcement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.