SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jim A.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago my 1979 P-30 developed a shallow indentation on the hull's port side under the forward shroud maybe a foot above the waterline and hasn't worsened. It's about 6-8 inches in diameter. It seems to be more visible some times than others perhaps depending on how the light hits it. Recently a second similar indentation has appeared under the aft shroud on the same port side. These locations would seem to coincide with the chain plate locations. Since I believe this is not a cored hull, I'm hoping it's not a moisture issue. Any ideas ? How serious is this ?

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
I'm betting Denise is right. Try loosening the standing rigging and see if the deformity is less apparent.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Let's hope Denise is right. I would carefully check the bulkhead attachments for the chainplates.

It's very possible that you've got an age or moisture problem and need to tab in new bulkheads. I wouldn't let this go. Yes..it has happened to me. I would check the other side while you're at it.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,405 Posts
Also betting that Denise is correct...

I don't recall where the chainplates attach on a P-30, but I believe that he P-30 does not have a pan-liner. I would look carefully at any bulkheads that the chainplates may be tied to. Pay particular attention to the bottom. If the bottom is no longer securely fastened, the bulkhead becomes a lever and will cause an indent in the hull.

Start by taking a Loos gauge to the shrouds, and record the readings. Follow up by checking the structure of the chain plate attachments, and then loosening the shrouds on the port side.

Reactions: TBG

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
The P30 does have a pan liner.
The chainplates are bolted through knees glassed to the hull. (They are not glassed to the knees as in some Sabres and Irwins) The knees are more than tabbed, they are totally wrapped in cloth... at least on mine.

This sounds pretty severe. I also advocate using a Loos gauge to check the tension. Something sounds overtightened.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,405 Posts
Thanks Bubblehead!

With a pan liner, then something is seriously over tightened. The pan should be great at spreading the tension evenly across the entire hull. If you are seeing "dents" in the hull, then the pan is being bent as well as the hull.

·
Jim A.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know the correct specs for the shrouds. I've always used he gauge to set them a little under what I thought were the correct tensions.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I could find no tuning document by Pearson, but general tuning guides for single spreader rigs with deck-stepped masts, typically call for setting them at 15% of breaking strength of the wire.

Except for the aft lowers. Those are usually set less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts