SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just bought a 25ft Coronado, And i acquired a 33lb Rocna anchor. the anchor that came with the boat is too small for the and has 25ft of 1/4" chain, and a 100 ft of rope. Rocna recommends 5/16 for the 33lb. I will be anchoring this boat unattended for the days that i work. The lake does see 40knot winds when a storm is coming in so i would like to have some confidence in the rode. But also cant afford a 200 dollar rode.

Thoughts ?

Harbor Freight 5/16 Zinc plated Chain 25ft. 1900lbs

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
The chain works for that boat, assuming goid condition
The anchor will work for much larger boats
You didnt id the rope and chain length

·
Master Mariner
8,253 Posts
In my opinion, your anchor tackle is your insurance for your boat. Do you think you can get a good insurance policy that will take as good care of your boat for $200.00? Find somewhere else to save money.

As once said to me my an old "Cape Horner", "Any idiot can make a boat go, but it takes a sailor to stop one."

Reactions: Captain Ron 56

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anchor is oversized for your boat, so chain and rode are probably OK. For extended unattended periods, you really want a mooring however.

I feel that almost every post that i have read regarding anchoring is stating to go bigger. and it couldn't hurt to go bigger right?

Acquiring a mooring is out of the question, it's $8000 for a north shore mooring per season and a season here in Tahoe is roughly 5 months. so yea, i will buy a good anchor set up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my opinion, your anchor tackle is your insurance for your boat. Do you think you can get a good insurance policy that will take as good care of your boat for $200.00? Find somewhere else to save money.

As once said to me my an old "Cape Horner", "Any idiot can make a boat go, but it takes a sailor to stop one."
hmmm. so what chain does everyone use here, where do you get it? i would obviously need 25ft of chain with a few shackles.

Thanks guys!

·
Master Mariner
8,253 Posts
hmmm. so what chain does everyone use here, where do you get it? i would obviously need 25ft of chain with a few shackles.

Thanks guys!
After a lot of research I found ACCO sells about the best chain for the money.
However, after viewing the attached pick of a 250# anchor caught about half way between the boat and the anchor, you might want to consider all chain with a good snub line. A line could have chafed through in just hours.
Note; You want to buy hot dip galvanized chain, not electroplated. Electroplated chain will be a mass of rust in no time.

Attachments

Reactions: Captain Ron 56

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,334 Posts
Acquiring a mooring is out of the question, it's $8000 for a north shore mooring per season and a season here in Tahoe is roughly 5 months. so yea, i will buy a good anchor set up.
Do other people leave their boat on the hook on Lake Tahoe? Will you be in a sheltered bay at least? Do you have your boat insured and will it cover anchoring out unattended on the Lake?

If not consider the cost of salvaging your boat if it ends up on shore. The $8000 mooring might also be considered cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
A mooring for a boat your size would be something like a 250 lbs mushroom with 1/2 inch lower chain and 3/8 inch upper chain. Cost for the parts would be maybe $1000. If you are allowed to leave a boat anchored for many days, I would think you could put in your own mooring.

The potential issue with an anchor is a sudden wind shift with strong gusts that can pull the anchor out and it doesn't reset. A proper mooring will not have that problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do other people leave their boat on the hook on Lake Tahoe? Will you be in a sheltered bay at least? Do you have your boat insured and will it cover anchoring out unattended on the Lake?

If not consider the cost of salvaging your boat if it ends up on shore. The $8000 mooring might also be considered cheap insurance.
I have seen other sailboats out there unattended for days and days sometimes all summer, and not in sheltered areas. but i do not know what anchor set up they are using.

I do have my boat insured, and thanks for bringing that to my attention , i will look up if i have unattended anchorage coverage.

I bought the boat for $1000. 8k is not cheap insurance.in scenario.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A mooring for a boat your size would be something like a 250 lbs mushroom with 1/2 inch lower chain and 3/8 inch upper chain. Cost for the parts would be maybe $1000. If you are allowed to leave a boat anchored for many days, I would think you could put in your own mooring.

The potential issue with an anchor is a sudden wind shift with strong gusts that can pull the anchor out and it doesn't reset. A proper mooring will not have that problem.

Thanks,
after some research...
Im impressed at how cheap mushroom anchors are! In my situation, i cannot set a new permanent mooring in the lake. i think someone would complain, especially those paying 8k for a season lol. UNLESS, i could winch up the mushroom and move it? i called the coast guard and they said the boat needs to move every 72 hours and needs to be a certain distance from land. which is manageable.

Sincerely,
broke adventurer.

·
11,862 Posts
Thanks,
after some research...
Im impressed at how cheap mushroom anchors are! In my situation, i cannot set a new permanent mooring in the lake. i think someone would complain, especially those paying 8k for a season lol. UNLESS, i could winch up the mushroom and move it? i called the coast guard and they said the boat needs to move every 72 hours and needs to be a certain distance from land. which is manageable.

Sincerely,
broke adventurer.
No this should be done professionally. Cheap investment. Remember you will be held responsible should your boat break free and pollute the lake with oil or other fluids let alone collision insurance. Make sure you have that coverage in your policy for an. ANCHORED BOAT.

While you got your boat for very cheap, maintaining a sailboat is thousands of dollars unless you trailer. If $200 for a safety piece of equipment is stretching you, maybe you should reconsider what you are doing. Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm as I encourage sailing and sailors, but you must be realistic too.

While the boat is cheap, keeping in the water a public place ( Lake Tahoe) is not and you need to consider whether you have the money to lay out which it requires.

Whole different ballgame KEEPING a boat in the water and it’s not just insurance. If you have lots of straight line wind, which Tahoe does as I’ve sailed it. Keeping a boat on an anchor largely unattended is foolish. A sunken boat or one bashed on the shore will make you responsible for thousands of dollars. If it is determined that you were negligent, insurance will not pay and fight it.

Just think this through.

In spite of the warning, congrats on your boat .

·
11,862 Posts
Just an aside, the people who have boats around you who have paid to keep their boats safely on moorings or a marina will notice that you are JUST anchored. To protect their investments they may make notifications to others about it.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,334 Posts
I do have my boat insured, and thanks for bringing that to my attention , i will look up if i have unattended anchorage coverage.

I bought the boat for $1000. 8k is not cheap insurance.in scenario.
If your boat ends up on the shore and it is because of some sort of negligence on your part like leaving it in an exposed position or using Harbor Freight Chain or a bad shackle, etc, you may be liable for the removal and destruction of the boat, environmental clean-up, fines, who knows what else. There are so many stories of people getting a cheap or even free boat and leaving it at anchor. An equipment mishap happens or a storm comes and the boat ends up on the rocks. The owner of the free boat ends up with many $1000s of removal costs that they could not afford.

I think in your case being on lake Tahoe the potential the boat ends up on a remote beach with extremely expensive recovery fees is good. If the boat ends up on a Californa shore line there could be possible hefty fines.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/51684-well-my-day-really-sucked.html

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Go to E-Rigging.com. I just ordered 26 feet of 1/4" ISO Grade 40 galvanized chain (NOT zinc plate) for $80 shipped. SWL is 2600 pounds. Tensile is probably someplace around 6000. Your bow cleat, or maybe the bow, will probably break free before the chain goes.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
How deep is the water? 26 feet is not enough. You need some scope, probably 7:1 in shallow water unattended. If the water is 7 feet and there are 3 feet of freeboard, that is 70 feet of chain. 26 feet is perhaps 2-3:1 scope, which is, well, optimistic in shallow water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts