SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boat has a 4 board hatch. I just sanded the boards down and put a ton of coats of Total Boat Gleem on the boards. In order to protect and store the boards when not in place, is it a good idea to create a storage sleeve? My wife has a bunch of canvas and has the sewing machine out, so it would be an easy project, if it is good idea to do so. Any suggestions on design?

Quick plug for Total Boat Gleem: Not sure how it will hold up over time but it was by far the fastest easiest varnishing product i have used. No sanding between coats, 3 coats a day, 4-6 coats recommended.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,402 Posts
I sewed a two-pocket canvas storage sleeve for our two-piece heavy acrylic hatch boards. It hangs inside the lazarette. I'm very happy with it, as the heavy hatch boards were trouble makers when they didn't have a secure home. I suspect you might get some worn corners on your very nice wooden boards, but then almost any storage method--including the random way--is going to create some wear.

·
Administrator
9,060 Posts
The nicest I saw was a three sided box in a sail locker that allowed the boards to drop in one next to the other. The sides of the box had stops creating gaps the width of the boards that were angled like the sides of the companionway. The bottom boards were towards the locker and the top boards were toward the bulkhead so you put them away and took them out in the order you needed them. In your case you probably would have two boards in each vertical stack, two pair of boards deep. These racks had velour on them so the hatch boards would not rattle.

I simply jamb ,mine vertically between the edge of the quarter berth cushion and the bulkhead, but that bulkhead is carpeted.

Jeff

·
Master Mariner
8,388 Posts
One of the very first things I did when I bought this boat was to make a Starboard door to replace the hatch boards. It just slides in the grooves the hatch boards slid into. I hate hatch boards! Ours are stowed in the bottom of our foul weather gear locker (being solid teak) and we never even have to look at them. It took one day to make the door and I guess about $100.00.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
One of the very first things I did when I bought this boat was to make a Starboard door to replace the hatch boards. It just slides in the grooves the hatch boards slid into. I hate hatch boards! Ours are stowed in the bottom of our foul weather gear locker (being solid teak) and we never even have to look at them. It took one day to make the door and I guess about $100.00.
View attachment 136282
But you still have to store it, right?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Msybe glue together 2 pairs...dealing with 2 total rather thsn four
Too late for that. I just varnished the hell out of the boards. I kind of like the 4 board setup at least think I will, I imagine being able to leave one or two board out and cover with bug screen for evening breezes. I had also created a one piece board last summer made out of high quality ply that can be used and also likely made into a table.

·
Master Mariner
8,388 Posts

·
Barquito
3,503 Posts
Space is at bit of a premium in my cockpit lockers, and I want my board inside the cabin if it starts raining. I have a little space under the companionway where I will build a slot to put them away (after I get through my honey-do-list).

·
12,221 Posts
We like our boards. They store easily in the quarter berth when not in place.
but our boat has lots of teak and mahogany inside so transforming into a Clorox bottle doesn’t fit our theme

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We like our boards. They store easily in the quarter berth when not in place.
but our boat has lots of teak and mahogany inside so transforming into a Clorox bottle doesn’t fit our theme
These boards are the only teak on this boat besides the tiller. So kind of the teak showpiece of the boat. There might be a bit of mahogany trim around the head but it is a very spartan space below.

So my plan is to install these boards and bring home my one piece hatch and finish it better, I sprayed the board last summer with something that did not hold up. Once varnished I can use it to winterize the boat under a tarp then bring home the 4 boards and build some storage bag then or wooden storage rack.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,242 Posts
My boat has a 4 board hatch. I just sanded the boards down and put a ton of coats of Total Boat Gleem on the boards. In order to protect and store the boards when not in place, is it a good idea to create a storage sleeve? My wife has a bunch of canvas and has the sewing machine out, so it would be an easy project, if it is good idea to do so. Any suggestions on design?

Quick plug for Total Boat Gleem: Not sure how it will hold up over time but it was by far the fastest easiest varnishing product i have used. No sanding between coats, 3 coats a day, 4-6 coats recommended.

View attachment 136281
We did a sleeve of left over material and it works great!

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I had a slide into groove veneered teak hatch board. I stored it standing up wedged between the mattress/cushion and a bulkhead in the V berth. I replaced it with a piece of 1/2" clear acrylic with a sold teak grab across the top and this which allows light and seeing out when we are closed in down below. I can also instead of dropping it into the grooves.... drop it down outside the companionway to the seat boards. This allows for ventilation over the top with the hatch slid over top. Exterior varnished teak is beautiful but a maintenance PITA.... I try to have a little as possible. The plexi hatch was one way.

·
Master Mariner
8,388 Posts

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
I'm hoping my days of multiple hatch boards is over too. We have a one piece acrylic, with a handle on each side. It stores behind the companionway stairs. It is harder to find a place for than the smaller package of multiple boards.

For multiple boards, I'd sew something that looks like a roll up tool pouch. Make the slots large enough to accommodate the boards and fold over on each other, probably like an accordian, then fashion a tie on the outside. Nice little package. But, I'm not going back.

Reactions: capta
1 - 17 of 17 Posts