SailNet Community banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Came across a place in Seattle that dealt with a lot of aviation scrap and upcycle.. of particular was a variety of glass? panels ,Hexagonal web separating the two sides. Sealing the finished cut edges with epoxy may be an issue requiring some thought but light, strong, inexpensive.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Although I don't really like finishing wood, I like the look of nicely finished wood. One place is the washboard. My discovery of the Total Boat Gleem where 3 coats gets me a nice looking product. Also each coat goes on easily and quickly. The effort to do it so far has been worth it. Summer is 5 months long if I am lucky and winter gives me 7 months to do some wood refinishing.

I did a a little experiment on the boat and the hatch would really benefit from some plexiglass. My previous attempted plexi boards got broken and my nearest source is 5 hours away as is any big city supply. For now I will do a marine grade ply because that is what I got. I have another set of hatches i will probably do out of starboard whish I also have on hand.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. Although I don't really like finishing wood, I like the look of nicely finished wood. One place is the washboard. My discovery of the Total Boat Gleem where 3 coats gets me a nice looking product. Also each coat goes on easily and quickly. The effort to do it so far has been worth it. Summer is 5 months long if I am lucky and winter gives me 7 months to do some wood refinishing.

I did a a little experiment on the boat and the hatch would really benefit from some plexiglass. My previous attempted plexi boards got broken and my nearest source is 5 hours away as is any big city supply. For now I will do a marine grade ply because that is what I got. I have another set of hatches i will probably do out of starboard whish I also have on hand.
Make a drawing and send it to a supplier who can cut to size and shape
Don't use 1/4" - too thin
3/8" min but 1/2" is better, but heavier.

You use wood working tools on plexi... file and sand edges...break all sharp edges/corners
You can drill 3/4"-1" holes for ventilation and as a grip.
Try smoked as opposed to clear.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You use wood working tools on plexi... file and sand edges...break all sharp edges/corners
I have used my woodworking tools to make a number of plexi parts for my boat, including this hatch, never successfully. Given the time, effort and chance I would screw it up, I would now have it fabricated in the future. Until I take the boat away from its home lake I don't see the need for plexi though. I don't see sleeping onboard we day sail it or take it camping where we beach land it and sleep on the shore.

If we take it on vacation in the fall we will likely pass through big city and have a plexiglass hatch fabricated.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts