SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a good link to some affordable hatch windows? All of mine on my Watkins 29 are in some need of repair. Figured I would just replace all 8. However after pricing them online I got some sticker shock.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Eight hatches on a 29 footer!?! Or are you talking about ports and windows also? Either way, replacing the plexiglass shouldn't be too expensive if you do the work yourself. Select Plastics (Home) is a great source of info and materials. Pay attention to their recommendations on the proper adhesives and procedures.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,501 Posts
Also, MEK helps remove Silicone.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Show us what you're looking at. Are they plexiglass portlights? Plexiglass, Lexan, polycarbonate, acrylic, are all very easy to work with if you have a table saw, a jig saw and a belt sander. Easy to cut shape drill. If they are all the same size, you're talking about scrap plastic and a couple of hours to fab. Post some pics then await the onslaught of opinions. Mine will be specifically from the trailer-sailor DIY point of view. My companionway hatch boards are made of grey polycarbonate adhered together with "living hinges". To prevent folks from seeing my Mrs changing, I sanded the inside with an orbital sander. Worked mint!

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I guess port windows is a better term. Looking for something like this. This particular one sells for $110. I'm not looking to drop 1k on new windows.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts