SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an "indoor" work bench would be nice. Perhaps a fold or stow away surface that is sturdy and could support a small vise. Strong enough and well enough supported to "pound on". I'm working on it. Anybody have such a luxury on a small boat? All examples and suggestions will be welcome.

Down

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks T,

The material isn't a problem. In one of my past lives I built boats and still have an inventory of "high graded" lumber that makes me smile when I visit it. I have that part covered. A couple of layers of marine plywood or a piece of white oak for the work surface perhaps? It is the location and design I am searching for help with. I expect it to be heavy. It needs to be. It doesn't need to be huge. Having a place to clamp something that needs attention without damaging the settee or the galley counter would be nice. It should be robust enough to mount a small vise on.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Seems to me.. build a boat to fit around the shop would be the dream! :)
Oh..guess that would become a barge, not a sailboat lol
Philadelphia seaport museum had a workshop on a barge before the new building was built quite a long time ago.

·
2,449 Posts
Black & Decker Workmate 225 Portable Project Center - WM225 Black & Decker Workmate 225 Portable Project Cen... : Target
+1 on the workmate.

I screwed a two by scrap onto a 3/4" plywood cutoff that's maybe 24x30 inches or so. I clamp it into the workmate if I need a larger surface. I have an old, small bench vise bolted onto another smaller scrap of plywood that clamps into the workmate.

It doesn't quite measure up to my shop at home but it's gotten me through a lot of boat projects.

It all lives in the cockpit under the boat cover during the winter.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Not indoor but I have fashioned a fender board (2 x 8"by approx. 6-7') to fit snug between port and starboard jib sheet winches in cockpit by cutting ends of board to shape of winch bases...doesn't take much to lock in as I don't want ends to catch on anything while fender board is deployed. Vice fits good, have some holes already so some tools have built in holders. Not much room on 30 fter so have to make due.
Also good under cover in winter.
Have pictures but not know how to post.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
Seems to me.. build a boat to fit around the shop would be the dream! :)
Oh..guess that would become a barge, not a sailboat lol
Philadelphia seaport museum had a workshop on a barge before the new building was built quite a long time ago.
Whats wrong with having a machine shop on a sail boat??? Works fine for me.

ATB

Michael

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Not indoor but I have fashioned a fender board (2 x 8"by approx. 6-7') to fit snug between port and starboard jib sheet winches in cockpit by cutting ends of board to shape of winch bases...doesn't take much to lock in as I don't want ends to catch on anything while fender board is deployed. Vice fits good, have some holes already so some tools have built in holders. Not much room on 30 fter so have to make due.
Also good under cover in winter.
Have pictures but not know how to post.
You can post them to Photobucket or another file sharing/picture sharing site, then include a link here. That's the easiest way. Alternatively, if you have the pics on a smartphone, you can use the Sailnet app to upload to the gallery here, then share from the gallery.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
I have a little bench that I can clamp the the lathe and a vice that goes on that if I need it.

I'll have to take a picture of that setup.... thought i had some but can't find them.

ATB
Michael

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
How long has the lathe been on board?

The reason I ask is because I have a similar lathe (and other machines) in a space under my house and I have a full-time job keeping rust off the bed-ways, chucks and working surfaces. I shudder to think how my lathe would survive in a salt-laden environment.

If it isn't a new installation - how do you it?

If it is a new installation - good luck.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
T9 and spray lithium grease are your friend. I installed it a while back and it has since sailed a single handed transat with me and has been all over the bay and to Bermuda and back in the last few years. Still works fine and looks ok.

Reactions: jimgo

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
T9 and spray lithium grease are your friend. I installed it a while back and it has since sailed a single handed transat with me and has been all over the bay and to Bermuda and back in the last few years. Still works fine and looks ok.
I will be happy with a sturdy platform and a vise! I am impressed that you manage to find space for that machine. I would have to leave the Admiral behind if I took something like that. Ha! Is it a money maker?

Down

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
It has payed for itself a few times over by now. I have a cross slide vice for it and a collet chuck, so I can use it for milling as well as turning. I have made a bunch of stuff for my boat instead of buying things with "Marine" written all over them. Things like prop shaft and bearings for the rudder etc. Just last week I refurbished a couple of winches from another boat where spares were not to be had for them anymore. Made a new bottom rudder support for a 42 Morgan and milled and turned a few bit for the Hatteras I am working on right now. My old 4 hp lite evinrude needed a new waterpump housing and the motor being that old, you cant get them off the shelf anymore. Made one out of a lump of bronze in an evening that I had left over from another project. Those a just a few of the bits that have come out of my little machine shop in the last couple of month.

ATB

Michael

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
I pretty much built the cabin of the boat around the lathe when I built Tiki. After I was done I pretty much ended up with a floating tool box, but it helps filling the cruising kitty.

ATB

Michael

1 - 20 of 36 Posts