SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mirage 33
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to dive my prop, and also am dying to go for a swim in general lol. All the water since buffalo has been dark brown and zero visibility other than when out on the Atlantic hops (and I wasnt swimming while sailing 6kts).

We are in Jacksonville now and working south. We really want an Anchorage where we can jump in before the Bahamas (lol). Any ideas from locals or experienced cruisers ?

·
bell ringer
4,859 Posts
Doesn’t really get clear till about Ft Pierce and even then it is spotty as to where the water being all that clear is. But depending on rain and current you should able to see the prop down near St Augustine

·
Registered
22,102 Posts
I’m sure there are divers that will dive in anything anywhere. You didn’t say why you need to dive the prop, but if you hire a diver, it may be worth setting the hull cleaning clock to zero. What the heck.

·
Registered
Mirage 33
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've avoided the rpm since deltaville, the problem is its everything passed 2300 which leaves me not much push when going anywhere. I tried gopro on a stick several times and flashlights taped on too, too murky. Should be un Augustine by lunch and I'll see about a swin or another gopro try.

·
Freedom Chip Counter
264 Posts
Be sure to go for a swim at the Blue Heron Bridge, just North of the Lake Worth Inlet. Wait for high tide, viz is great and there's lot of salty fish to see. Just be careful, the currents can run almost 2 knots when not at slack tide...you don't want to fight those!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The Stadium anchorage in Miami is really swimable. Clear blue water, well protected, good access to the city. Bus stop is right there, quarter mile or less from where you land your dinghy.

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
I'm hijacking this thread to ask - are you sure it's something on the prop? The reason I ask is that I became a first-time boat owner recently and my engine has a similar problem - knocking loudly at about the same RPM. I was assuming the motor mounts were going bad, but perhaps I should be thinking that it's the prop? Nobody seemed to question your theory, so I'm assuming it's valid.

·
Registered
Mirage 33
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm hijacking this thread to ask - are you sure it's something on the prop? The reason I ask is that I became a first-time boat owner recently and my engine has a similar problem - knocking loudly at about the same RPM. I was assuming the motor mounts were going bad, but perhaps I should be thinking that it's the prop? Nobody seemed to question your theory, so I'm assuming it's valid.
So I'm up on the hard in titusville florida and the mystery is solved. I did check my mounts before hauling and they are fine. I narrowed mine to prop/shaft because in the Chesapeake when it first started I crawled into my lazarette hoping something was just vibrating down there but nope, I could feel the knock coming from outside the hull.

TLDR. My engine came slowly out of alignment. My stern tube/shaft log is such a close tolerance it actually allowed the shaft to contact it when vibrating under load. See pics before and after. I've adjusted it properly now for actual clearance around the shaft and my couplers are bang on. Once in the water I'll give it 48hrs to get back into natural shape and then I'll re-align it again. Problem solved!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts