SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my near-antique Ritchie compass rebuilt about 4 years ago to fix a leak. The rebuild included a new clear plastic dome - replacing what I think was a glass dome. Now the plastic is discolored and becoming difficult to see through due UV I presume.

Minimally, I'd like to know if anyone has recommendations on a reputable Ritchie compass rebuilder. And if possible, I'd like to go back to glass, so parts references would be helpful too. This compass is original 1972 equipment and functions well aside from this problem.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Pub,

If you are in New England (CT, yes?), it might just be easiest to deal directly with Ritchie in Pembroke, MA. They will do a rebuild for you, and given the age of your unit it might be best to go back to the manufacturer. They are right off of the highway (Rt. 3) at exit 12. If you ever head over to Cape Cod it would be a quick detour. Or you can ship it to them.

As for the plastic dome -- I'm surprised it got hazy that quickly. Do you have a hard plastic or soft sunbrella UV cover for it? If not, that would be a good idea even if you go back to a glass dome.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'd highly recommend keeping the compass covered when not using it. That will help protect it once you get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
My dad had the same problem on his boat. I used a liquid intended for hazy plexiglass. It buffed and polished, maybe had liquid silicone in it too. Worked fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts