SailNet Community banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Denise,

Hope it is ok to say when racing crew, she is as far from the tiller as we can get her! Please note I said "WE" as in myself and crew! she does not steer that straight, gets to distracted when racing etc. anyway......enough of that eh!:) I end up being the tiller holder! we do MUCH better that way!

Marty

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, we all know how competitive guys Marty, I'm sure she enjoys seeing you enjoy it so much.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Denise,
I should point out, one of my crew is my daughter, we now also have upon occasion one of my sons GF, and stillraining's daughter as joined us doing a sr class project. Altho out of those three women, the only one to sail with Sheryl is KT, ie my daughter! anyway, my twin sons are currently in France at a World Cup Boomarang throwing compitition. Richard won a local tourney in France last weekend, Daniel finished third, usually the placements are flipped. I think that was the first non 1st for Daniel since last summer US championship. Which he has won 2 or 3 times in the last 6-7 or so yrs. They did not know me as competitive until Sheryl and I bought the boat......now they know where the competitive spirit in them comes from......Both daughters and sons are reasonably competitive. unlike X............Sheryl is too, but or her, sailing is relaxing..............except on race days!lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
When we took our first cruise with my Father-in-law, he was headed straight to the rubble of the jetty. Having just paid for the survey, insurance, bottom job, etc., I wasn't comfortable with our position, I grabbed the helm, turned it hard over, and he didn't speak to me for months!!

He had many years of experience cruising and boat building but at 76, didn't judge the predicament.

My partner said I did the right thing!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Saved the day too I might add!

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
It hasn't really come up for us. When we're sailing for fun, we take turns. When we're making for a destination, most of the work is done by the faithful "Baron Otto von Pilot" so neither of us steers. When docking, I usually helm and put the muscle on the bow: not to get wet if one of us has to jump to a dock, but to fend if necessary. And the ugly sexist truth is, if a girl is at the helm, any dockhands are far more forgiving of sloppy docking than if the guy is at the helm. WTF, but if they're so narrow minded about it, they deserve to be taken advantage of!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
LOL I never thought of that Eryka!

·
Registered
96 Posts
LOL......Men!!!

This is why we don't have men aboard any more! Whether it's an offshore passage or bay sailing. Women together can and will get the job done, many times more efficiently and in a more tranquil manner than our counterparts. By the way, any women interested in sailing with us, PM me. We sail the Chesapeake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Widower with over 50 years sailing experience seeks widow or Lady sailor with sailing experience to continue life with. My wonderful sailing wife passed from alzheimers four years ago. We were married 53 years and sailed 50 of them! Not a single fight or argument, ever.

We had a Jeanneau 43 DS together. And several smaller boats including a Crealock 37 as we could afford them. I would be willing (and able) to buy us a cruiser up to say 45 ft and locate it between Pensacola and TX somewhere. The considerations would be distance to home and Hurricane survivability in Summer. We could do some local cruising in summer as long as we could get back to slip in 2 days. My home is abt 450 mi from gulf coast so totally safe from Hurricanes.

My sailing exp has been So. CA islands and Many BVI and USVI cruising vacations. And..

Following purchase I single handed our Jeanneau 43 DS 350 nm from San Francisco to Ventura CA for 56 hours straight (No Sleep!) in gale conditions annomometer reaching 60 now and then. The wind was never below 35 until rounding Pt. Conception. Weather radio reported Central CA seas running 20 ft. Now that was a ride ! Sailed on jib only gybing downwind on P&S tacks of about 40nm per tack. 24hrs/day. One must be damn careful and skillful to not blow out a jib gybing in that level of wind. Was making 6-8 kts on jib only.

I am an electronics engineer and entrepreneur owning a engineering firm for 20 years. Also very astute mechanically. You have no idea how many jury rigs i've created to get us back home in the wake of a breakdown. I like to carry a lot of spares. I love swimming and used to scuba dive. I think i'd now confine that skill to bottom cleaning and emergency repairs.
I own a lovely 3500 sf home on lake Balboa in Hot Springs Village, AR, with pool and boat house + runabout. We sailed together for years with our daughter and more years just the two of us. I'm safe never been arrested and have a passport, and carry permit that will demonstrate I am not a felon. I used to have top security clearance when i was an aerospace engineer. Now I'm just a lonely dude without wife or a sailing partner. maybe we can rescue each other? I still frequently cry for my wife. I have taken her loss very hard. Our love for each other was rock solid.

I would like to spend the entire safe winter months cruising the the Bahamas, T&C islands and Virgins. Then back to the safety of Hot Springs Village, AR During Hurricane season. Living like that we would be in summerish weather year round ! No winter for us!

Have large home with Pool and boat dock (complete with runabout on the premium lake in the village. (the village is 56 sq miles! Largest gated community in America. (Google it)

If you seek a successful very gentle and loving dude.. Lets talk. My wife and I never had an arguemnt or fight of any kind. Lets max out whats left of life.
As an aside.. I love classical music and opera. Very knowledgeable on both subjects. Wife and I attended many operas including Wagners giant Der Ring des Nibelungen. Twice.
Introduce yourself.. [email protected]
My fingers are crossed.

·
Dirt Free
2,933 Posts
Sharon lets me drive sometimes :)
Water Boat Motor vehicle Naval architecture Mode of transport

21 - 33 of 33 Posts