SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have been lurking for 2 years just trying to learn from the experts.

I got my bareboat certification this past year and I have already booked my first charter for later this year in the VI.

I was talking with an acquaintance who has sailed 3-4 times in the VI and he was sharing a list of unexpected emergencies (tangled lines, toasted generators, injuries, etc.) that have happened to him (some embellished lies, I think) on his charters.

One issue he had was a major-clog in the head pump. Long story short, he said all of the head waste (piss, turds, barf) bypasses the holding tank and goes directly into the sea on charter boats. :eek: He seems to think charter companies are exempt from emptying holding tanks every Saturday.

Any truth to this? Is this standard procedure in the VI? :confused:

I think he is full of, . . . , wait for it, . . . , CRAP!

Thanks to all who make this place the best resource for sailing!

TOM

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Clogging a marine head is not all that uncommon, but has nothing to do with dumping overboard. It's usually because too much was put in the bowl and not enough clear chasing water was flushed behind the last use to get it through the system.

Most modern production charters seem to have a setup where the bowl is pumped up to a holding tank behind a cabinet in the head. It's this lift that requires sufficient clear flushing water to move the waste. Too many just assume its gone because it left the bowl, when its just sitting in that waste line. The waste enters the top of the holding tank, but exits the bottom of the tank by gravity to a thru hull.

It's illegal to dump overboard within 3nm of the USVI, but in the BVI it's not. Yes, in some cases, they are less than 3nm apart. :)

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,586 Posts
Some countries prefer you to pump directly overboard flush by flush instead of dumpling 100 litres at a time in a small area.
Also pumping overboard flush by flush means no chemicals.

Its much more environmentally sound than the big dump of a big holding tank topped with blue anti stink stuff.

Remember, some islands none of the houses have sewrage systems anyway so having a pump out facility for ten boats is just silly.

You are not in New York/London/Sydney now, you are in countries where the entire population is less than 50,000.

:)

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
if you pump to a tank first then at least the decomposing has started before discharge and also usually a macerator pump is used to break up the chunks .... nothing worse than a boat leaving a "paper" trail as they leave harbour.
if you want to go the extra step look at a composting head or a bucket and cedar chips
solids are not that much to store and liquid is safe to dump in most cases.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I don't think installing a composting head in someone else's charter boat is a particularly good idea. ;)

The head on our last BVI charter boat did not have a 100 liter holding tank. More like 10 liters, located right above the toilet bowl, like Minne described. It's basically enough to get you through the night in the anchorage, then you dump it the next day on the way to your next island. It's a bad idea to dump your stuff in the anchorage where there are people swimming around. :puke

·
Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
The VI is pretty vague and covers a couple of countries and a whole bunch of space. In the USVI and the SVI you are under the jurisdiction of the USA and are not supposed to dump within 3 miles. In the BVI there are no rules.

There is no exclusion for any boat in US waters that I'm aware of.

The current best practice was described well by Takefive.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Long story short, he said all of the head waste (piss, turds, barf)...
Okay, no one else has mentioned it, so I will. You should not be barfing into the head! Urine, feces, and toilet paper are the ONLY things that should go in there. If you need to barf, you barf over the side, or into a bucket. NOT IN THE HEAD!!! (Which may well explain how your friend clogged the head.)

·
Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Okay, no one else has mentioned it, so I will. You should not be barfing into the head! Urine, feces, and toilet paper are the ONLY things that should go in there. If you need to barf, you barf over the side, or into a bucket. NOT IN THE HEAD!!! (Which may well explain how your friend clogged the head.)
Some would argue that toilet paper shouldn't go in there either.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You should clarify with the charter company exactly how the sewage system works on the boat you will charter.
I really wanted to sail around St. John, but during our briefing we were told that the holding tank on our boat had been by-passed and the head could only discharge directly overboard. This would have been illegal in the USVI waters so we had to scratch St John from our itenerary. It also complicated using the head in a couple of anchorages.
Still had a great time and fabulous sailing.
John

·
Registered
528 Posts
You should clarify with the charter company exactly how the sewage system works on the boat you will charter.
I really wanted to sail around St. John, but during our briefing we were told that the holding tank on our boat had been by-passed and the head could only discharge directly overboard. This would have been illegal in the USVI waters so we had to scratch St John from our itenerary. It also complicated using the head in a couple of anchorages.
Still had a great time and fabulous sailing.
John
Several charter companies will also charge you an additional fee if you return their boat with anything other than an empty holding tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was at Jost Van Dyke the other day and the cat next to me had there guests swimming, when some aboard used the heat and they were swimming in TURD water,I could hear them complaining about the smell... NICE

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Why thank you for your kind words :).

I shoot the tree rats because they eat all of the food I put out for the songbirds, then try to find their way into the attic for a warm dry home....
There are other ways to discourage squirrels to eat bird food or to move into the attic than killing them. There are bird feeders specifically designed to be inaccessible for squirrels, and if you keep your home properly sealed, no squirrel will be able to enter it.

But I suppose killing harmless animals (why do you call them 'tree rats?') is less work, and it gives you the joy of killing.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
But I suppose killing harmless animals (why do you call them 'tree rats?') is less work, and it gives you the joy of killing.
Have you ever shaved a squirrel's tail? You would know why I call them tree rats. Shooting them is less work than other options, and it is fun. We, as humans, do all sorts of things for fun. We also do all sorts of things to make our lives easier. Do you have reservations about swatting mosquitos? Do you have reservations about mouse traps? Squirrels are vermin. I treat them as such .... and on a side not, all of my efforts have close to ZERO effect on their local population.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.