SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have heard and read so many tinmes that the only thing that should go into a head is what comes out of a person. No paper or anything else. Makes good sense. I have a question about what to do with the "used" paper, especially when out for more than a day? A giant ziplock? Diaper pail? Sorry, but I do need the answer(s). :confused:

Thanks in advance, Bill

·
19,488 Posts
Some do use a ziploc, or a garbage bag, or whatever for all the paper esp when using the head in shallow confined coves, parks and marinas. It takes some getting used to.

It also makes it even more important to be able to find regular means of garbage disposal ashore....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Head use

I attached a bag that is a little hard to describe without a picture, but it has an elastic strap that allows you to mount it to something (in this case the inside of the door to the cabinet under the sink in the head) and it also keeps the top of the bag closed unless you pull it open. Inside that we use a regular plastic shopping bag for toilet paper disposal. But it is not a hard and fast rule, we use this but don't necessarily require quests to. However most of our sailing is short time and the head does not get that much use.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Is the giant ziplock for the head or for the users?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, I can't believe that people actually do the ziplock back thing. I don't have a marine head on my boat, only a portapotty, but I have friends that live aboard and have never experienced that...but then again, I am the guest...hmmm.

·
STARBOARD!!
1,662 Posts
These are the instructions I give to my guests:

1. Prime the bowl a bit so it is not dry. This will allow it to flush without so much waste sticking to the bowl.

2. Flush as soon as you are finished "dropping anchor". Don't put both waste and paper into the head.

3. Use as little paper as possible and flush it more than once if you need lots of paper.

4. Switch between wet and dry flush to help the paper flush out of the bowl once wetted. This minimizes the amount of water going into the holding tank.

5. If you clog the toilet with too much paper; you get to fix it.

If your toilet gets a clog one of the best/easiest things to do to free the clog is to use a pump-out vacuum on the hose going from the vented loop to the toilet. Disconnect the hose at the loop; bring the pump-out hose in through the window to the head and suck out the offending clog while pumping water into the bowl.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I use the brown paper bags people use for lunches, put spent tissue in the bag, close it up tight, drop it in the large bag provided. No plastic, renewable resource, safe, makes a nice fire too.

Edit - that's when guests are present, by the way, when it's just me I wouldn't waste a paper bag. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
We use bio-bags from a climbing store if we do not use the head. We also use pampers baby butt wipes (the wet kind) along with single ply tp. They add comfort, especially on a long trip with limited showers. They cannot be flushed into a holding tank.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I install a bidet spigot on my Jabsco compact bowl and use very little toilet paper. Infact washing with water after wiping is very hygienic and you would feel comfortable too.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Well I'm glad I have my own boat!

Cheryl Crow said to just use 1...1 piece of toilet paper per trip...she lost me there. :puke I put paper, the stuff that easily desolves and what belongs in the tank, in the tank. Pump out often. In fact I'm putting a new 'tank is full' warning device in this year. I realize that if I lived aboard in an anchorage it would make complete sense to make do??? Is that the right spelling here:confused:

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
make do??? Is that the right spelling here:confused:
Are you asking about the "make do" part ? I'm no English geek, as my bad use of the language proves, but I think it is "make do" instead of "make due", but both are used a lot. I think the origin is to "make something do", like to "make the old paint do" if you don't have new paint. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
It is okay to put toilet paper into the holding tank as well. Use the cheap, single ply stuff that breaks down quickly.
If you want to get really fancy they have stuff that's made specifically for boats. Probably not necessary but you don't want Charmin or Quilted Northern (do they still have that?) either.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
416 Posts
Have always put toilet paper in the head and never had a clog from it. Of course I do ask guests to use some restraint in the amount. If a large wad is needed some reason (I don't ask why) either put that in the trash or separate into smaller amounts to flush in several stages.

Basically tell all guests that you do not put anything in the toilet that you did not eat first. ONLY exception is toilet paper in reasonable quantities. Do not want to make the instructions too complicated or the whole process will break down.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
In the toilet!

We put our t.p. in the toilet. Never had a problem.

The marine toilets are designed to handle t.p. with no difficulties.

The thought of putting it in a bag makes me gag.:eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Single ply paper breaks down well but dont use too much.Just a change of attitude is needed.Used our head continually and didn't use a plastic bag at all.Maybe organising and reducing garbage while cruising for extended periods could be another thread?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Some use Single Ply, we use the Marine stuff you get at the chandlery or Rv Store, but I have never understood the need to "Bag It".

·
19,488 Posts
We put our t.p. in the toilet. Never had a problem.

The marine toilets are designed to handle t.p. with no difficulties.

The thought of putting it in a bag makes me gag.:eek:
I think the OPs reasons were environmental, not to do with the head's handling of the paper itself. It is kinda gross and I'm with you there, but in places like the Tobago Cays our friends follow that rule to avoid "littering" (as a French-sold boat there's no holding tank)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I love this because it took years to get are south american workers to flush paper as they dont do it down there in many areas :puke

1 - 20 of 26 Posts