SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Martha... :D Where did you get the stuff from??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dog... I ordered mine from Maritime Plastics in Annapolis-410-263-4424. Since I had limited space I'd order one or two sheets at a time. Take them to a pavilion at the neighboring marina to cut it. I used brown paper to make patterns. The foam on the old vinyl was just too big of a mess to use it as a pattern. If you would like to see a piece I'd be happy to mail you a sample.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nautical Fishwife—

I'd love to see a sample. I'll PM you my address.

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
For anyone who is interested, these are some pix of the headliner we installed this year with vinyl tongue 'n' groove material bought at Home Depot. It comes in 7" x 86" strips, about $20 for a 3 pack. Waterproof, meant for bathrooms, so I though it good for marine environment. The 2" hole plugs were about $3.50 for a 25 pack a Graingers. They covered up the fender washers and lock nuts used under deck fittings. They'll be easy to access when rebedding. The only problem with both is that they are a little too white as compared the other fiberglass work in the interior. Oh well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Martha,

That is absolutely beautifully. I use Sintra in display and set building, never thought about using it on the boat.

SD,

I really like how they brought the beer back to the cockpit. Did it need a backing plate too?:D :D :D

LakeEscape

·
Registered
49 Posts
Headliner

On my previous boat I replaced the headliner in the method you described - using furring strips.
I used a product from Home Depot as the liner.
Can't remember the name, but it is white fiberglass paneling. Home Depot has it in the same area as the wood paneling. When I was buying it, it was about $25 for a 4 foot X 8 foot sheet.
I cut it to fit the furring strips, then covered the seams with teak batten strips like in the pictures earlier in the post.
The paneling did an excellent job. was fairly easy to work with, easy to clean and maintain. It has a rough finish and didn't show dirt or marks readily.
Good luck with your project.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Essman. I'll have to look at what HD and Lowes have available. I'd prefer something that isn't wood—as I prefer sailing to varnishing...and want to keep the cabin as light and airy as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had a little experience - first with a beneteau with foam backed vinyl on the hull surfaces - black mold removal shortened my life by years. forget it.

The second is with my current Pearson 40. the overhead panels consist of vinyl on basicly luan ply. the old was yellowed (looked like the walls of the home of a heavy smoker but I believe this was the original color) and it needed freshening. I removed the panels and glued new vinyl over the panel and reattached. a great improvement. for your situation the use of a finished panel - available at any big box store would be the best alternative. It looks like formica on luan. Easily cut, held in place by velcro strips (really a big help when first mounting and keeps the panels from sagging), stainless screws (into the furring strips you mentioned) seams covered by finished wood or plastic strips.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was going to cheat a bit...and not put screws through the panels themselves if I can avoid it..and just use screws through the wood trim to hold the panels in place... this may not be a reasonable solution...but I was going to try it. :) However, in the case of my boat, none of the panels will be wider than about 3'. :)

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
One recent member here on sailnet did a fairly large hardware upgrade on his boat and he went from this:

to this:

But to do so, his cabin ended up looking like he has a bad infestation of fiberglass termites:

You can buy plug caps to cover each of those holes or make up a trim piece in wood to match your interior wood - screw it in place, dabs of hot melt glue it in place, Velcro it in place, whatever, as long as it is fairly easily removeable.

While you're at it, you can put large fender washers under all those OTHER nuts that only have scrawny little washers backing them up.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
A method I've seen used and really liked was longitudinal panels of thin monocell foam - perhaps that Sintra - I've never seen it that I know of. The foam panels were covered with fabric that was wrapped over the edges and glued down on the back side. Each panel was held up with industrial strength Velcro rather than battens or other fastener type systems. Each one could be peeled out to access fasteners etc. and then just pressed back in place. Looked great and worked great.

This method probably suits a more contemporary boat better than an older style - don't think it would really suit a schooner for example.

·
Temporarily on the Hard
33 Posts
I started with a perforated aluminum headliner and painted ply ceilings and ended up with this. We milled ash into 2"x 1/8" T&G strips, painted the salon headliner white but left the coach house and ceilings clear-satin finished. Doesn't weigh any more than the old aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Ahhhhhh.....time for a classic Sailing dog post......sorry can not resist

you're pulling up a 4 yr old post because why? OP is probably not posting here, has answer yadda yadda. see my sticky to get the most of of sail.net yadda yadda......

by the way, SD got pissed at a few folks after 40somthing thousand posts and is not posting. in the mean time, hope you all enjoy your day, oh, yeah, carry on!

Marty

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ahhhhhh.....time for a classic Sailing dog post......sorry can not resist

you're pulling up a 4 yr old post because why? OP is probably not posting here, has answer yadda yadda. see my sticky to get the most of of sail.net yadda yadda......

by the way, SD got pissed at a few folks after 40somthing thousand posts and is not posting. in the mean time, hope you all enjoy your day, oh, yeah, carry on!

Marty
Hi - I resurrected this thread because it appears to be about liners (using the Search Function, which worked well by the way), and I was looking to see if anyone had used Sintra. I didn't mean to stress anyone out.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts

Trust me, you did not stress me out, just had to have a little fun on the OP of the thread. The line I used was his favorite line to use when a 4 yr old thread was pulled up and a question or comment added to it. Then trust me on this, "HE WOULD BE STRESSED" over someone bringing up an old post! At times frankly, bringing up an old one is better than starting a new one. On the other hand, the other way also applies.....

I'm personally not sure what Sintra is. When I redid my head/hull liner area's I used foam and vinyl as it originally had, but seperate vs already together. Flat area's used thin plywood or where their was deck gear hardware to get at stuff, so it was easier to remove and get at the nuts/bolts etc.

Marty

·
Registered
22 Posts

Trust me, you did not stress me out, just had to have a little fun on the OP of the thread. The line I used was his favorite line to use when a 4 yr old thread was pulled up and a question or comment added to it. Then trust me on this, "HE WOULD BE STRESSED" over someone bringing up an old post! At times frankly, bringing up an old one is better than starting a new one. On the other hand, the other way also applies.....

I'm personally not sure what Sintra is. When I redid my head/hull liner area's I used foam and vinyl as it originally had, but seperate vs already together. Flat area's used thin plywood or where their was deck gear hardware to get at stuff, so it was easier to remove and get at the nuts/bolts etc.

Marty
Thanks - I moved to this site because the other one was full of snide know-it-alls, lousy manners and general opinionated butts. It's great to have an opinion but there's seldom a reason to insult someone with yours.

Sintra is: "Sintra is a lightweight yet rigid board of moderately expanded closed-cell polyvinyl chloride (PVC) extruded in a homogenous sheet with a low gloss matte finish." I"ve had good luck using it on a few projects and am thinking about using it for my hull liner.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable material for "some" area's frankly. Not sure if it would work on all the area's. Then again, I have not felt the actual material nor seen it etc. best not to judge it too much.

HERE is a link to how I did the aft cabin, at the bottom of that has a link to how I did the head area of the boat. While you may not want to do it how I did, maybe some of my comments and whys will help you in your project.

I guess the question may beg, which "other one?" I can think of a dozen sailing forums off the top of my head. 2 have some pretty I'll use "heady" folks. one I do not post on ay more, do look at it on occasion.......the other....well, what can I say about SA, it is what it is, it does have an anything goes way about it, good or bad......

Marty

21 - 40 of 40 Posts