SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual pump head that I installed about 2 seasons ago. The pump on it is starting to stick a lot. Especially now that she just went back in the water after sitting all winter. Can I use lock carbon on it or WD40? Is there a special lube for it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
A few years ago, my manual pump was squealing a lot. I poured a couple ounces of cooking oil in the head. Squeal went away and pump worked much better. Seems I got the idea from Peggy Hall.

·
74 Posts
What pump do you have?

If it’s the ubiquitous Jabsco, there is a large nut that forms the seal holder in top of the pump. Using an adjustable spanner (wrench in USA :)) pull the pump handle to the top, undo the nut, tip the shaft to the side to vent the pump (stops water spilling into the boat) and remove the plunger. A small amount of waterproof grease on your finger, wipe it onto the inside of the pump cylinder and reassemble.

Takes five minutes, will stop the sticking for a few months. There will be some who say “oh yes, but the grease will damage the seal”. Yes it will over several years. When it does, a dollar will buy a new o-ring that will last the next five years. Insert it next time you fix the sticky. 😊

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts