SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the headroom is in a 29' Bayfield? I'm 6'3" and am willing to look at and consider any and all sailboats that can even get me close to standing up straight in the main cabin. I've read here, the 25' Bayfield is 6'. Purpose and intended use will be full time live aboard and cruising. Would like to stay under 30' for financial reasons.

Currently living on the east coast of Iowa(Mississippi) and don't have a whole lot of chances to test fit and poke around different boats. So when I go for a road trip to look, would like to have a selection to view. Some of my wish list are full keel(protected rudder,more forgiving pucker factor), at least one bunk that I can stretch out in, diesel engine...??? For those that have been there and done that, what else is really important. I'm not talking gear, gadgets, and equipment. Unless you're talking head and shower, stove.

Any and all suggestions, and tips are appreciated.

Wayne

·
19,488 Posts
6 foot 3 inches is a big ask... but if any 29 footer of that era is likely to accommodate you that might be it.

Here's some data from an older publication.. no headroom details but you might try to scale the drawing. Note also that this layout, at least, has no V berth and the only double is a make-up-take-down settee in the main cabin. Not the most convenient liveaboard scenario..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I couldn't make out the head room in the main cabin from that drawing either. Hoping for an owner with a tape measure to chime in. Not welded to that boat, open to options that are tallish. There is an Albin Vega shell near by that seems cheap(without checking the hull and deck), but 5' 6" listed headroom just won't cut it.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
The Bayfield 32 only has 6'2", so it's unlike the 29 will be more than that.

The Ontario 32 has 6'4". The Mirage 33/35 (the 35 has a reverse transom) has 6'5".

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Wayne, only short people like yourself would ask such a question. Several solutions to the headroom issue,, Stay home,,, bigger boat,,, amputation,, get over it,,, really bad posture.

·
19,488 Posts
Is head room really a big deal? Especially in a smaller boat?
We lived with a 28 ft boat with 5 feet of headroom for 10 years. She was a pretty boat, sailed well and had a great cockpit. Pretty because nobody tried to design 6+ feet of headroom into that length.

Although trying to pull on a pair of pants bent over got a bit old after a while, we did realize that much of one's time below was spent sitting or sleeping. The major exception is cooking, and many small boats have the galley near the companionway which, when open, provides infinite headroom. Pop tops, dodgers, etc can enhance that situation.

As a liveaboard, though, I think the lack of headroom, esp for a tall person, would become a bigger issue sooner. And remember even boats with headroom will often have passageways and doorways that require 'ducking'.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
It's only an issue, if it matters to you wayne. There are though, some other considerations with a smaller boat and liveaboard/cruising.

For one, instead of thinking vertical, think horizontal. Will a boat that size have a big enough berth for comfortable sleeping?

Will it have ample enough storage for the lifestyle you want to live on the boat?

Will it be able to accommodate the amenities you want?

That's just a few things you might want to consider.

Reactions: Wayne000001
1 - 8 of 8 Posts