SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a plastic track that slips over my forestay that the headsail is fed into. The PO broke it at some point and I'd like to get another one if possible, however I'm having a hard time finding one online. Would this piece be classified as rigging? Thanks.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Plastic head stay part

Is it white?
Is it inteneded to furl a sail OR merely to hoist and lower a headsail?
If you look at the "feeder" where the sail luff tape enters the plastic part, this ought to be Stainless steel and may be stamped with the phrase Tuff Luff and a number sequence like 1506 for instance.
AND if you study the feeder carefully you may see a second "Groove".

IF there is no such SS feeder
OR groove
OR if the plastic is Grey
OR if there is a furling drum
THEN you will not have a tuff luff but perhaps a CDI furler.
In the case of Tuff Luff, you have a Tuff Tuff manufactured by Schaefer Marine in Newbedford MA and available thru most riggers.
IF a CDI google them for support.
Cheers
Joe Cooper

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
Generically, these are generally refered to as luff foils and yours is probably made by either a Tuff Luff or HeadFoil. They are reasonably easy to find when searched under the manufacturer. The last time I bought one I think Defender Marine had the best price but that was easily 10-15 years ago.

Jeff

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is white, and has 2 tracks on it. I don't have a 'spool' for a roller furler. Thanks. I'll try searching by manufacturer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hey, I missed it before but I jsut noticed in your signature you have a merit 25. That a great boat.

The guy who taught me everything I know about sailing has one all rigged out for racing and just bought another one for whatever reason.

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just picked it up, and trying to work out all the bugs right now. This one hasn't seen any use in a VERY long time.

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked out online, and yes, it looks like a head foil / tuff luff extrusion. I don't have anything else, like the feeder or all the other junk for it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
zz4...
I own a Merit 25 too... Mine has no roller furling and the head sail riggin is secured to the fore stay via shackles... There's a yahoo group that is devoted to Merits, they have been great help with questions like yours...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skedaddleyachtclub/

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Mine is white, and has 2 tracks on it.
Sounds like a Tuff Luff foil. Should have stainless steel at the entries of each track on the bottom.

Just checked out online, and yes, it looks like a head foil / tuff luff extrusion. I don't have anything else, like the feeder or all the other junk for it.
You should have a prefeeder a few inches underneith. Will ease feeding the sail in considerably and result in less wear and tear on the luff. Here are a couple types: Schaefer - SS & Bronze Main Sail Pre-feeder 1/4 in. -1/2 in. Bolt Rope (6mm-13mm) (which is similar to what we have on our boat) and SIGNETMARINE Ultimate Prefeeder. Stainless steel headsail prefeeder. (Both sites chosen at random from the results of a Google search on "headsail prefeeder.")

Jim

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
SD.. I'm sorry my "Marine English" is poor as you can see... I struggle to make myself understood, I'm from Mexico and do my best, but marine parts are tougher...

Just to keep on the original post theme... zz4, if your head sail furler is compromised why just not rig your boat in the original set up?
Just an idea...

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
SD.. I'm sorry my "Marine English" is poor as you can see... I struggle to make myself understood, I'm from Mexico and do my best, but marine parts are tougher...
Not a problem, Alecs. I wish my Spanish, or any other non-English language, was as good as your English :).

That being said: For God's sake, whatever you do, don't call a block or sheave a "pulley!" :D

Just to keep on the original post theme... zz4, if your head sail furler is compromised why just not rig your boat in the original set up?
He doesn't have a furler. He's got a Tuff Luff headsail track system. It has two tracks in which a bolt rope rides. The advantage is primarily for racing, as you can raise a second headsail inside the one that's already up, then, after the tack, drop the old sail. This way you always have a headsail up.

The disadvantage to that system is that, as you drop the headsail, nothing's holding the luff on the boat. More difficult when you're short-handed and have only one person on the foredeck gathering-up the sail.

To change to a "traditional" hanked-on system, he'd have to have hanks installed on all his headsails.

Jim

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Not a problem Alecs... just thought you should know what the proper English term for it was. :D

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SEMIJim, I'm not sure I follow how you can run 2 head sails at the same time. Do you have any pictures of this? I'm a little confused.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
zz-

JIm's not saying that they run with two headsails up... although this was done to sail wing-on-wing in the trades...but that having two grooves allows you to hoist a smaller or larger headsail to replace the one that is already hoisted, to better suit the changing wind conditions, before lowering the current headsail. This is important when racing so you don't lose too much boat speed during a headsail change.

If you google for "twistle sail rig" I'm pretty sure you'll find some pictures or drawings of the setup.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
zz4gta, it looks like you have 3 options:

1. Replace the Tuff Luff foil.
2. Install a furler.
3. Remove the damaged Tuff Luff and have go to hanked sails.

The first option would be best if you intend to race. The second option would be best if you intend to primarily daysail and cruise. The third option would be the low cost choice if your headsails are shot and need replacing, but may not make sense if you need to have several current sails modified.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
...but that having two grooves allows you to hoist a smaller or larger headsail to replace the one that is already hoisted, to better suit the changing wind conditions, before lowering the current headsail.
Also when changing tacks upon rounding marks. For example: You may be flying a #2 or #3 with a reef in the main when going to weather or on a beam reach, then want to shake out the reef and go to a #1 on a broad reach or a run.

Jim

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OOOOOHHHH, ok I get it now. I've priced out another Tuff luff track, so I think I'll just replace that and get a feeder. Thanks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
There you go calling it a track again, :) It is usually called a headfoil or just foil. My Spanish extends to ordering drinks and finding the Bano so you are way ahead of me.

One more important point, head foils come in two sizes, general they take size #6 luff tape however on smaller boats such as a Merit they could have size #5 tape. If so, you need to buy a foil for # 5 tape.

#5 is not very common but if you are ordering on line I would find out for sure what luff tape you have, or if you can what your old foil is.

The Merit is a fun boat that sails well a buddy of mine used to race one.

Have fun
Gary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts