SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I apologize in advance for English but I use google translator.
I'm at the stage of reconstruction yacht from 1949 in which the engine is installed Farymann A30M. Sorry but during the review showed that the cylinder head is damaged and there is no possibility of repairing it.
Please contact us if someone is unnecessary heads Farymann A30M and is able to sell it at a reasonable price.

Regards from Polish and I look forward to the information.

--
Marcin

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,642 Posts
Marin, the only place I ever saw parts for the A30 was on Ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marcelli:

If you still need this part - I can help you - I do have one. I actually have an entire cylinder (in excellent shape) with Piston and Cylinder head -- it has a Brass Water Jacket and the Cylinder was Fresh water cooled with coolant and a heat exchanger - so there is no salt water effect on the cylinder. The cylinder was lightly used and still has the original score marks on the cylinder wall.

Please let me know if you still need this part.

Regards,
Pacifican

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning,
Of course I'm interested. But everything depends on the price of these parts and the cost of delivery to the Polish. If possible please on the calculation of these costs.
Regards and waiting for information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am biting the bullet and re-powering

My Farymann A30M is in great condition, heads rebuilt recently, injectors serviced everything is perfect except I have a hotspot in one of the cooling jackets. Since they dont make replacement jackets and ive tried EVERYTHING ive decided to re-power and sell the engine whole or piece by piece.

Any part you need I got!

Im in NorCal

Let me know what you need and we can discuss parts

Hope I can help save your engine!

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Here is the fact of the matter, don't waste money on a ferrymann. Simple as they are junk, and not worth a cent. you can find some nice old yanmars for very little money, with small running units under $2000. They will run for a good long time, and you can get parts everywhere.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Union Pacific

Farryman diesels are junk???????
A German-manufactured diesel is junk?????
What?????
I have the same response.... Junk????? No they were not! They are just old and hard to get parts for now so many do not want to mess with em. I have 4... just picked a S30 fresh water cooled using a heat exchanger out of FL. Looks to be an original, runs fine... 2500 hours which is about a 1/4 of its life if taken care of.... I know of quite a few 10000 hr industrial and ag diesels that are still going strong. I personally like the Farymann's old heavy and slow turning design. Their base designs are built for longevity. One of the problems though for some marinas now is having anyone around old enough to know them. So if your not mechanical you likely do not want anything except new. I can't afford that. I'll repower the tired old single with the S30 (and have two spares) for less than $1200. But I can do mods and many things mechanical that many can not... so I can get to play too.

All cast iron based raw water cooled castings will have trouble after 30 or 40 years... especially in salt water. I don't care who's brand it was.

Dave

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
I have the same response.... Junk????? No they were not! They are just old and hard to get parts for now so many do not want to mess with em. I have 4... just picked a S30 fresh water cooled using a heat exchanger out of FL. Looks to be an original, runs fine... 2500 hours which is about a 1/4 of its life if taken care of.... I know of quite a few 10000 hr industrial and ag diesels that are still going strong. I personally like the Farymann's old heavy and slow turning design. Their base designs are built for longevity. One of the problems though for some marinas now is having anyone around old enough to know them. So if your not mechanical you likely do not want anything except new. I can't afford that. I'll repower the tired old single with the S30 (and have two spares) for less than $1200. But I can do mods and many things mechanical that many can not... so I can get to play too.

All cast iron based raw water cooled castings will have trouble after 30 or 40 years... especially in salt water. I don't care who's brand it was.

Dave
Parts are not hard to get. I could have rebuilt mine for $3500, LOL. Yeah, junk. as in worthless. As in volvo has cheaper parts. Make a nice mooring block thou.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Marcin, try some German sailing sites. Much closer to Poland and they used Farrymans a lot. You can also ask some good machine shop to check if they can repair the old head. Just about anything can be fixed if you have a good mechanic with the right tools. It will likely be cheaper as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also have a VP MD7A I salvaged.... was running when it sank... I opened it up and was in the process of a rebuild for my previous boat. Still have it. Very few parts would have had to come from VP... I found rings and bearings by matching up dimensions and type out of the master catalogs. Same with shaft seals.... all at 1/10 price of VP. Flat gaskets are easily made. Only part I would have had to buy from VP was the head gasket, although I know where they could be custom made.

All "Marine" parts are several times their industrial or automotive counterparts.... regardless of brand. Most are a little better grade than your typical low end automotive... and are generally the same grade as industrial, but generally its the lack of economies to scale and a greed factor I think. I haven't bought any Farymann factory parts yet...will see. I thought VP was absurd on their pricing. Think "Marine" is bad... try Aviation... at least in aviation there are significant added manufacturing costs for QA and certs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts