SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nordhavn 60 and I was just wondering how far can we get off the coast and still keep the internet? ooooo from charleston sc to Bah.
Could we stay like 5 miles and hug to coast down... WHY IM ASKING ONE OF MY FRIENDS NEEDS TO BE CONNECTED THE INTERNET ALL ALL THE TIME LOL NO BS
(((work))) he says... but to get him to have fun finally I'm ok with it for now.... MY ????? IS TO YOU GUYS CAUSE IVE HEARD FROIM 1 MILE TO 100 MILES. I DONT CARE FOR MYSELF I NEVER PAY ANY MIND!!!!!! but for him please help

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
Assuming you do not have a wifi repeater and are relying on the phone's reception alone, I've found 3 miles to be fairly reliable around here, occasionally 5 miles. Note that it's not really a matter of how far offshore, it's how far from the tower, which may or may not be near shore. Around here, towers are plentiful. Definitely not the case everywhere.

As coverage degrades (number of bars declines), low bandwidth apps, like texting, are far more reliable than full graphic apps or video.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Minnewaska pretty much nailed it. It is going to vary. There may be places where you have trouble getting a signal 100 yards offshore. I mean, there are places in the city of Tampa where reception is a bit spotty. There is no way that you can absolutely guarantee that you will have good reception 100% of the time. MOST of the time, you should be okay a couple of miles out. SOMETIMES you may be good quite a bit farther. But if you want to be SURE of having the best reception all of the time, then you need to stay quite close to shore.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
I think, by Bah, you mean the destination is the Bahamas. Your friend is going to have to accept being out of continuous contact eventually.

I haven't been in the Bahamas in a while. Last I was there, my US phone was very spotty. Getting a local sim card is usually advisable for the best service, in most foreign countries.

·
Administrator
7,617 Posts
Yes.
Lots of people are trying to work remotely from their boats. But it's very difficult when moving.

And if you do mean Bahamas from South Carolina you are going to be plugging against the Gulf Stream to keep your friend happy while you spend a few thousand $ in extra fuel?

Remember Georgia and Florida dig a long way west.

I'd give the guy the flick. Who needs an overstressed work junky when you're on vacation?

Reactions: denverd0n

·
Registered
589 Posts
Has anyone tried Google FI?
I've been using Google FI since it was beta, and Im very happy with it. the coverage, service and cost all work for me. I use my phone as a hotspot when I am away from home to connect my tablet or laptop. I recommend it 100%.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Google Fi is a phone carrier operated by Google. In the US, it gives you data service on three mobile networks (T-Mobile, Sprint, and U.S. Cellular), which your phone will intelligently switch between. It also uses Wi-Fi to make calls and send texts whenever available.

That said, it will still give you only limited coverage offshore, no more than a few miles, as was said by Minne.

·
Administrator
7,617 Posts
Thanks, Bob.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I'm interested in real fi experience in the bahamas and Caribe...compared to local sources

Connectivity, speed...what local providers it is aligned with in different countries...etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts