SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
I need an ASA 104 certificate to bareboat for 1 week in Croatia next September.

I took and taught sailing with the U.S. Navy Sailing Association in the 1970's. Since then I have owned and raced boats from 14 to 38 feet, both onshore and offshore. I currently own a Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit in Annapolis.

I have taught navigation, and I have taught many of my own crew to sail; some of them now own and race their own boats. I do my own maintenance and have rebuilt the diesel engine from my previous boat in my own garage.

Now I need ASA 104 certification to bareboat in Croatia. I have never gotten any ASA certification so I need an instructor to administer the tests and to demonstrate that I exceed the requirements for #104.

I want to keep the costs and time down and I don't need a sailing school. We can use my boat and if we need to do an overnight demonstration I can assure you that you will eat well and sleep in comfort. (My wife and I are great cooks!)

I will need proof that you are able to provide me with a legitimate certification and perhaps a referral or two.

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Dear David:

I did start several threads and a poll on this and the Cruisers Forum.

I never sail with my fenders down, I stow them in their own locker. But I also carry spares when I cruise...

My boat is in Annapolis and I posted on your thread because you said you were working the ASA booth and I figured you might know some folks/schools and could help narrow my search. I stopped by the booth on Saturday also but you had stepped out.

While what I am asking for is unusual, if more charter destinations require ASA/USSA certification, then there will be more of a demand for this kind of product or else these destinations will see a drop in business.

If you are interested, search "ASA" on this forum and Cruisers Forum to see my other threads. I also wrote to Spinsheet and Sail Magazine with an article request. I do plan to be humble and I know there is always more to learn. My problem is the time and expense to do a one week bareboat may simply not be worthwhile. I think there is an opportunity here for schools/instructor-owners. You are invited to post on my threads also.

Sorry for the invasive hijack of your thread. I thought I'd see you at the show.

-ARGold

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.