SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For anyone following my route, we are in Titusville FL tonight. Wind on the nose most of the day, but we still managed to average 5 kts. @ 0.32 GPH. Not bad for an old boat!

Reactions: cthoops

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
Come on man, get out there!

Just encouragement, I know the wife’s comfort is primary. Personally, I’d find a full passage on the ICW excruciating. I think I’d rather be in a heated or air conditioned trawler’s pilot house, if I had to do it.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dropped the hook early today. We are just inside the Ponce de Leon Inlet. Heading outside to St Augustine Inlet tomorrow.

Look closely and you'll see the lighthouse

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Come on man, get out there!

Just encouragement, I know the wife’s comfort is primary. Personally, I’d find a full passage on the ICW excruciating. I think I’d rather be in a heated or air conditioned trawler’s pilot house, if I had to do it.
Temperature has been great! Not too hot during the day (thanks to the bimini), and not too cool at night (thanks to the cabin fans). No AC or heat needed.

Reactions: Minnewaska

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
For a sailboat, doing this trip in my O'day35 is perfect. The mast height allows us to pass under the Port Mayaca RR Bridge (49 foot clearance), and even with the deep keel version, we have been able to navigate everywhere safely.

The original Universal M25 continues to push us along at a constant 0.31GPH. With the Genoa unfurled, we have exceeded 7kts.

We have room for all the crap that the Admiral brought aboard, including her herb garden!

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
That looks pretty pleasant. Enjoy the trip.

I actually looked to see if I could scoot around Cape Hatteras, if I ducked into the Fall Annapolis show, before heading further south this coming winter. But, no can do. Definite advantage to have an ICW compatible vessel.

·
New to cruising
22 Posts
Thanks Don.

You're right in that I was trying to make time as I was heading south. I had two crew changes planned; Portsmouth, VA, and Savannah-ish, GA (For those of you that don't remember Savannah was where things really went south). I wanted to respect the crew's schedules. Also, my wife was planning to arrive on October 31, and I wanted to be here when she arrived. I landed in Fort Myers Beach on October 30. The trip back should be more relaxed.

The plan is to leave the house buttoned up for another 5 months, and head up the Caloosahatchee to the Franklin Lock Campground, where we have a reservation, starting at 0900 tomorrow. I have broken the trip into three ten-night legs, with plans to stay longer at any stop that we are enjoying. Here is the first leg with the projected distance from the prior stop;

Franklin Lock, FL 30nm
Moorhaven City Docks, FL 36nm
Indian Town Marina, FL 42nm
Fort Pearce, FL 45nm
Cape Canaveral, FL 64nm (offshore?)
New Smyrna Beach, FL 50nm
St Augustine, FL 60nm (offshore?)
Fernandina Beach, FL 54nm - we will stay here for 2 nights
Morning Star Marina, GA 34nm
Wahoo River Anchorage, SC 42nm

Suggestions on places/sights to visit would be appreciated!

I will update the route here as we proceed north.
I seem to remember stopping in Cape Canaveral for fuel three years ago. I really liked the port. It was easy to navigate. Enjoyed a nice lunch. I didn't note any marina I'd like to stay in, but there might be a nice anchorage. From there I sailed overnight to my homeport: Fort Lauderdale. If you plan to cruise in FL a lot, I recommend joining one of the FL yacht clubs that have reciprocal amenities including overnight stays (first night free). Looks like you don't do overnight trips. Those are actually my husband's and my favorites.

·
New to cruising
22 Posts
That looks pretty pleasant. Enjoy the trip.

I actually looked to see if I could scoot around Cape Hatteras, if I ducked into the Fall Annapolis show, before heading further south this coming winter. But, no can do. Definite advantage to have an ICW compatible vessel.
Going around Hatteras was one of my favorite trips. It is gorgeous. But you need a good weather window. I spent a few nights in CapeCharles waitiing for the window. But Cape Charles was a blast.

·
New to cruising
22 Posts
Years back I was on a delivery from Antigua to Wrightsville Beach. We stopped once in Bahamas, once in FL if I recall correctly then went out into the Gulf Stream. Going north outside was fine and fast.
North is usually the better trip. South you have to hug the coast. But going up the coast of FL is really fine. It's the Chesapeake to SC that's the tough part. If your vertical clearance allows you can choose to go inside. Otherwise you need a good weather window to round Cape Hatteras.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We are just north of Sy Augustine. Beautiful anchorage, but the bugs chased us inside.
67 nautical miles

·
Registered
763 Posts
We are just north of Sy Augustine. Beautiful anchorage, but the bugs chased us inside.
No Seeums are the worst for me. They can manage to ruin the best sunsets. Fly's and skeeters aren't much fun either but that's what you get when you visit paradise.:rolleyes:

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
We brought a battery operated bug zapper. It looks like a badminton racket. These are a NECESSITY on a cruising boat. I killed the last one by splashing sea water on it. The head of this one stays in a plastic bag when not in use.

Reactions: RegisteredUser

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Fernandina Beach tonight!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Looks like you're making good progress. Might even be able to beat the next front coming your way on Thursday if you make good progress tomorrow !

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
These are a NECESSITY on a cruising boat.
,when near shore.......

There's another solution. :)

Actually, we just obtained one of those too, but haven't needed it yet. Thankfully, our marina is not buggy and it seems we're not often in buggy anchorages. When we are, it's awful. When anchored outside Potter's Cove, I never tuck up close to shore, for that reason.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts