SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,696 Posts
Reaction score
For many, including me, it's not an insurance issue - it's bugs. Lots of bugs along the ICW, noseeums, skeeters, gnats, black flies, you name it, they're out there awaiting your flesh to arrive. Usually, after the first week in October, these critters pretty much begin to hibernate, but this is not a rule etched in stone. Therefore, I purchased a replacement, screen enclosure for a backyard gazebo, which fit perfectly over my bimini and down to the gunwales. I used some six ounce fishing sinkers to hold it in place, and wallah - not critters. Worked like a charm.

Just about everyone I met during my trip south asked where they could find the screening - Walmart and the cost was $29. Later during the trip, I saw at least three more sailboats with the same setup.

I also found a great way to keep the noseeums from making their way through my hatch screens and porthole screens. I soaked a rag with Avon Skin So Soft, wiped it on the screening, and the noseeums would fly right up to the screen, but never tried to venture more than about an inch closer before turning away. It also kept spiders at bay as well.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

· Registered
6,696 Posts
Reaction score
Yep, you can see them when the sun is between you and them. At first I thought my eyeglasses were just dirty, that is until they began gnawing on my arms. They're about the size of a pin head, but I think they have the jaws of a steam shovel. ;) OUCH!

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.